Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello,

I have just puchased a 55 plate Passat for my wife, unfortunatly the spare remote does not open or start the car (a red light appears when you press the button so I think battery is ok).

When I open the car using the fob that works and then insert the spare one (that doesnt work) into the dash - I get an engine imobilized message.

I suspected the key needed to be Syncronized so I got the manual out. The manual suggests opening the car manually using the plastic small key in the FOB, I tried this and the doors would not open (either usiing the pastic small key in the fob that doesnt work or using the one that does work).

I am pretty sure the spare key is for the vehicle (as the small plastic key inside each remote appears to have the same pattern on them).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Ross

0 0 0

2. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Try leaving the non functioning fob on the front seat. Disconnect the car battery for 5-10 minutes and reconnect. Make sure the working key is well away from the vehicle. Try to lock and unlock the doors using the remote that wasn't working. If you can get it to work the central locking it should then start the car. If this doesn't work, fit a new battery in the fob and try again. Your car radio doesn't need a code so don't worry about disconnecting the battery.

0 0 0

3. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Stoddart View Post
    The manual suggests opening the car manually using the plastic small key in the FOB, I tried this and the doors would not open (either usiing the pastic small key in the fob that doesnt work or using the one that does work).
    I've done this to re-sync without problems. Do the plastic keys operate the locks in the folding seat backs as they should? If not it seems the plastic keys and possibly one of the fobs does not really belong with your car.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0

4. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Martin, will give this a try, the car has got the sat nav factory fit, will disconecting this give me any code problems?

I will try disconecting the battery at the weekend (I guess this sends out a signal to the fob? is that right?)

Gamichea - I was also suspicious that maybe the spare was the wrong key for the car - so tried the plastic spare in the rear seat locks and both work fine - so I guess this rules this out?

Thanks both - keep the advice coming

0 0 0

5. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So, if the plastic keys operate the seat back locks but not the door lock that seems to leave three possibilities.

1. The door lock has been changed.
    2. The plastic key(s) were not fully home in the door lock. I have this vague recollection they go deeper into the door lock than into the seat back locks.
    3. You did not put sufficient effort into turning the plastic key in the door lock. The door lock offers more resistance and because the pastic key 'handle' is so small it is difficult to apply much effort to turning what is a rarely used component.

Beyond those possibilities I'm at a loss to know what to suggest. Its important to be able to gain access with the plastic key to avoid being locked out due to any failure which makes the central locking inoperable.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.

0 0 0

6. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi Ross. Disconnevting the battery shouldn't effect anything in the car. Try the plastic key in the lock again just incase. My method works sometimes. Disconnevting the battery seems to act like a computer rest. Then if you are lucky the non functioning fob is found. Good luck

0 0 0

7. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi gamichea,

agree on all your points

I will try the plastic keys in the door lock again, I know both plastic keys would lock the door (when I opened with the fob that worked).

However when I tried to open with the plastic keys, both keys would turn in lock, the idicators would flash and the red light inside the car on the window cill would flash rapidly for 5 sec then return to normal flashing (doors would not open).

I will try pushing the plastic key in further to see if this makes any difference.

if not I am hoping that martins idea works

0 0 0

8. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Stoddart View Post
    However when I tried to open with the plastic keys, both keys would turn in lock, the idicators would flash and the red light inside the car on the window cill would flash rapidly for 5 sec then return to normal flashing (doors would not open).
    The rapid flashing indicates the system has just set itself; that is you just locked (or relocked) the car. Did you try turning the plastic key in the other direction?

If you did maybe the manual lock mechanism is malfunctioning and won't trigger unlocking?

The only indications you'll get that unlocking has occurred is the red light stops flashing and the indicators flash (twice?). The alarm will not sound until the door is physically opened and is then silenced by stuffing the fob into the dash slot all the way to ignition on.

0 0 0

9. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Gamiecea/Martin,

Determined to fix the issue I tried again with the plastic spare keys to open the car - again no luck, the barrell turns (anti clockwise) with the plastic key (the red light flashes rapidly) however the doors do not unlock.

I had a look round the car and there are plastic covers on all the door handles - I noticed the rear passenger nr side door had a loose cover so removed this - behind this is a metal blanking plate which was loose (and without any problem managed to ease this out to reveal the inside of the lock - I have pushed back in and its still loose.

Anyway, this is leading me to think that maybe the locks have been changed or tampered with at some point (the rest of the car totally stacks up, including VIN plates, log book, full VAG history and being ex lease it included a print ouyt of every bulb, tyre and oil change its ever had.

Here is what I know so far:

1) The main fob opens and starts the car, the plastic key inside this does not open the door, it does turn the barrel, and it does operate the lock mechanism in the rear seats.

2) the second fob does not open the door, when inserted into the ignition the dash reads "imobalized" - the red light flashes on the fob when buttons are pressed, the plastic key does not open the door, it does turn the barrel and it does operate the lock mechanism in the rear seats.

3) There is a metal blanking plate behind the plastic door handle (rear nr side back door) cover which is loose and was easily removed - the rest of the metal plates are solid and can not be removed.

4) Everything else stacks up totally - am tempted to phone the dealership in the log book to see if they have done any lock work.

Am I missing something here guys or is this one for the dealership? annoying as I like to think I am handy with these things (and I hate to be beaten!)

2) The second fo

0 0 0

10. Re: Help! Key Fob Sync 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I still think the second fob has been "lost" by the central locking ecu. The plastic key not working is not unusual. They may never have been used since new. If the key doesn't turn the lock barrel far enough, the microswitch won't fire the auto lock/unlock. The dealer can code in the second fob for you and a bit of wd40 in the lock and lots of use may get the microswitch to work. If not its a new lock required.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast