1. Incomplete 13-pin socket wiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just taken delivery of a Mk. II Skoda Superb TDI with towbar + factory prep + 13-pin electrics. I've just checked, and it appears that pins 10, 11 and 12 are missing, so I've contacted Skoda UK and am awaiting their response.

They must surely be aware of this issue, as their Towcar of the Year winning Superb must have been supplied with fully functioning 13-pin electrics.

Has anyone else had this isasue with a new car, and if so, how did the dealer respond. I'm hoping that the missing pins and wiring can be fitted with no charge to me - we shall see....

0 0 0

2. Re: Incomplete 13-pin socket wiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    What makes you think they are missing? Lots of manufacturers don't use all the pins so they don't include them. It's quite common to find three pins not being used/not present.

0 0 0

3. Re: Incomplete 13-pin socket wiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2 of the 3 pins which are missing are for the split charging and fridge, which is a requirement for just about every caravan used in the UK. The 3rd missing pin is not allocated anyway.

Having contacted Skoda UK, they have told me they are aware of the problem and the 'techs' at the factory are working on it - no indication of when a solution will be available though. The electrical socket in the boot is rated at 15A, which is plenty, so it's not as if the solution is difficult.

They also said that the best way of avoiding this issue is to buy the car without a towbar and have one fitted on the aftermarket - now that really is taking the ******.

The basic problem is that customers expect a 13-pin socket to be fit for purpose (in a large proportion of cases this means towing a caravan), and mine simply is not.

0 0 0

4. Re: Incomplete 13-pin socket wiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Sorry. I see what you mean. Should have looked closer at your pin numbers. I wonder what the Germans expect people to do without pin 10. Never had a problem like that with aftermarket kits. Like you say, the easiest fix would be to run an ignition power feed to a new pin 10, but why should you have to sort that out. Surely the dealer can arrange for someone to replace the socket and add an extra wire.

0 0 0

5. Re: Incomplete 13-pin socket wiring 
    ChillOut Guest
    [QUOTE=tim-spam;354938]

They also said that the best way of avoiding this issue is to buy the car without a towbar and have one fitted on the aftermarket - now that really is taking the ******.

QUOTE]

That's an outrageous statement !! You get a factory fitted bar because its done properly for God's sake. Our dealer for example gets the local tow car fitter to do it and still charges you Ł750, so I would not be happy with that. And he won't use the OE switch gear etc and it won't integrate with the tow-turn indicator.

Demand its sorted properly and professionally at their expense and hassle. You could threaten to reject the car if its only a few days old. Legally you might not be on good ground as the law demands a major fault for you to be able to reject it, so use the threat with caution only if needed and do not expect to carry it through.

But tell them you are a CC member and will contact the CC.

I thought Skoda were God's of customer service? They should be apologising big style.

0 0 0

6. Re: Incomplete 13-pin socket wiring 
    ChillOut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-spam View Post
    The basic problem is that customers expect a 13-pin socket to be fit for purpose (in a large proportion of cases this means towing a caravan), and mine simply is not.
    Your being too nice about it !! The problem is its not fit for purpose. Anyone with a caravan will expect to have this as you say - the customer is not the problem here.

Mind you one maker I looked at, and it may have been Audi, said that the 13-pin arrangements are only wired up for 12N (ie 7 pins only). That's even worse, although at least they warn you I suppose.

Keep the 13-pin though - much better than 12N/12S

0 0 0

7. Re: Incomplete 13-pin socket wiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hi Tim. I have been told that your skoda is fitted with european caravan wiring. German caravaners not being so keen on fridges and extra batteries. This means that skoda have miss-sold the car as it is incorrectly wired for the British market. Tell the dealer to correct it.

0 0 0