Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Alright guys,

Bought an 04 TDI highline 130bhp not too long ago, and its approaching the big 60k mark. I'll be changing the cambelt, the water pump and the aux belt, but at the same time i'm thinking of getting a service done on it at a franchised dealer. At the moment it is on a Long-Life schedule and the engine managment light hasn't come on to inform me it's due. The last service was at 47k so i presume it will pop up any time.

I've read on the forum that the Long-Life schedule is mainly for motorway drivers who sit in 5th all day long. My current driving involves mainly city driving with the odd motorway stint, so do you advise changing it to the annual/10k service? Im also thinking of trading it in, in a couple of years time when the 08/09 B6 highline model becomes a bit more affordable. I therefore think I may only need to do 1 service during my ownership of the car if i choose to have the Long-Life. Is this a false economy? Any suggestions are welcome.

Dave

0 0 0

2. Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally i just change the oil/filter every 6k with PD 5/40w.

0 0 0

3. Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    If you do town driving, the variable servicing won't be all that long anyway.

You may as well reset with the odometer and clock knobs and it will revert to time/distance.

If you want to do it more often, just do so.
    If you really want to, you can alter the limits using VAGCOM, you can set the max days and Km.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0

4. Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    ChillOut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ddave05 View Post
    Alright guys,

Bought an 04 TDI highline 130bhp not too long ago, and its approaching the big 60k mark. I'll be changing the cambelt, the water pump and the aux belt, but at the same time i'm thinking of getting a service done on it at a franchised dealer. At the moment it is on a Long-Life schedule and the engine managment light hasn't come on to inform me it's due. The last service was at 47k so i presume it will pop up any time.

I've read on the forum that the Long-Life schedule is mainly for motorway drivers who sit in 5th all day long. My current driving involves mainly city driving with the odd motorway stint, so do you advise changing it to the annual/10k service? Im also thinking of trading it in, in a couple of years time when the 08/09 B6 highline model becomes a bit more affordable. I therefore think I may only need to do 1 service during my ownership of the car if i choose to have the Long-Life. Is this a false economy? Any suggestions are welcome.

Dave
    For my money, if you are keeping a car, change the oil frequently and use an indendant garage to save the money. I took the "keep the VAG history" route as I was in exactly the same position as you. I would say stick to the variable if you intend to sell, but consider if the £200 premium to get a VAG stamp will be returned when you sell. Trade is ball park £4K these days, so to get even £200 extra for that VAG stamp is pushing the limit.

If you use an indy , insist on seeing the bottle they got the oil from - it must be genuine LL.

0 0 0

5. Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillOut View Post
    If you use an indy , insist on seeing the bottle they got the oil from - it must be genuine LL.
    When i get mine serviced i always supply the oil and filter + any other genuine parts needed on the service
    but ive been using same non VAG garage for years and they are used to me

0 0 0

6. Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skuzbukit View Post
    When i get mine serviced i always supply the oil and filter + any other genuine parts needed on the service
    but ive been using same non VAG garage for years and they are used to me
    If you're doing that you could do the oil change yourself in 15 mins! Hardest part is getting the clips off the front undertray lol.

0 0 0

7. Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyp View Post
    If you're doing that you could do the oil change yourself in 15 mins! Hardest part is getting the clips off the front undertray lol.
    Yup gotta agree with you there but i couldnt do the rest of the service + getting rid of the old oil is a pain

0 0 0

8. Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup gotta agree with you there but i couldnt do the rest of the service + getting rid of the old oil is a pain
    what else do they do on a service ???

0 0 0

9. Unhappy Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Take your hard earned £

0 0 0

10. Re: To Long-Life or not to Long-Life, that is the question 
    ChillOut Guest
    Take your hard earned £
    Well they do look around and see if anything's fallen off and how thick the pads are!

But you are right, changing the oil & filters is pretty much all they do these days really, unless anyone can tell me otherwise (OK brake fluid, that's fiddly).

If the filters are readily accessible, its an easy job, if not, it can be hard work.

But some people don't want to do it themselves, however easy and you have to value your own time too.

0 0 0