1. Damaged vacuum(?) pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did oil change today - first I have done with this car (2004 130tdi), no problems with job itself but noticed when I took the top engine cover off that a small rubber pipe was badly chafed from contact with the cover.

The pipe runs from a valve(?) on top of the inlet manifold and joins to a plastic pipe at the rear of the engine.

It looks like a vacuum pipe.

Is replacement simply a matter of pulling it off at each end and pushing a new pipe on or is there more to it than this?

Dealers did not have pipe in stock, I assume it is OK to use ordinary vacuum tube from a factor - does anyone know what size it needs to be?

How do I stop it happening again, the edge of the cover touches the pipe and chafing is almost inevitable, I will need to protect it in someway.

Any thoughts will be appreciated, thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Damaged vacuum(?) pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it'll be 3mm inside diameter, did all mine with silicone from demon tweeks, originals are rubbish and soak in oil and crap. i did this one a few weeks back too, was from egr valve to control box thing, that is about 4mm inside diameter, they arent under enough pressure to blow them off so any pipe will fit as a temp repair, mine was rubbing against a clip where a flange goes to heater matrix

Subaru broken, sold, Silver Seat Leon Cupra 180 '02' no cupra badge?

1 0 0

3. Re: Damaged vacuum(?) pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just cut the end of the pipe off and reconnect - it's long enough. Se my post here:

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=68615

0 0 0

4. Re: Damaged vacuum(?) pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you could cut end of pipe off but for just over a tenner you could do the whole lot in silicone? i now know i wont have to worry about splitting or perishing for a long time, probably after ive sold car which is a good few years off yet

Subaru broken, sold, Silver Seat Leon Cupra 180 '02' no cupra badge?

0 0 0

5. Re: Damaged vacuum(?) pipe 
    ChillOut Guest
    Can anyone list the ID of all the vac pipes?

By the way, I found Demon Tweeks service pretty apalling - waited over 2 weeks for my pipes having paid £8.25 for express delivery !! - had to change the order for a different make and still waiting. In all this, I did the running around - they never updated me on the stock issue, promised me stock for this week that has still not arrived and would not send Royal Mail which would be here tomorrow (Saturday) but used 30kg courier (Tuesday) for something weighing about 75grammes. And somehow, my £6.55 pipe is costing me £21 - they have yet to explain that one, even allowing for the £8.25 delivery charge.

0 0 0

6. Re: Damaged vacuum(?) pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkongstuey View Post
    you could cut end of pipe off but for just over a tenner you could do the whole lot in silicone? i now know i wont have to worry about splitting or perishing for a long time, probably after ive sold car which is a good few years off yet

Stuey, I agree that your silicone solution is the best option (looks cool as well). My pipe cutting excercise was a quick fix.

0 0 0

7. Re: Damaged vacuum(?) pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillOut View Post
    Can anyone list the ID of all the vac pipes?

By the way, I found Demon Tweeks service pretty apalling - waited over 2 weeks for my pipes having paid £8.25 for express delivery !! - had to change the order for a different make and still waiting. In all this, I did the running around - they never updated me on the stock issue, promised me stock for this week that has still not arrived and would not send Royal Mail which would be here tomorrow (Saturday) but used 30kg courier (Tuesday) for something weighing about 75grammes. And somehow, my £6.55 pipe is costing me £21 - they have yet to explain that one, even allowing for the £8.25 delivery charge.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAMCO-SILICONE...3A1%7C294%3A50

0 0 0

8. Re: Damaged vacuum(?) pipe 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

The damage was in two places and there was not enough tube to cut out the damage and re attach.

Have replaced with 4mm tube, not sure if this is correct, the metal pipe of the EGR control valve and the rigid plastic pipe to which the other end attaches appear to be 5mm, thought 5mmID tube might not be tight enough.

Seems to be working ok.

(was going to attach pic of damaged hose but have not worked out how to do this).

Thanks for your help.

0 0 0