1. My first impressions of my GT TDi Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I was going to wait until 1000 miles before posting this, but I though I'd do it anyway as I'm at 930 (this way I can avoid doing any work for about 10 minutes)

My initial impressions have been mostly positive - I have to keep reminding myself that I've gone from a Passat to a Golf, remembering that I have 2 foot less of car is something that I have to do regularly!

The driving experience so far is mostly positive. It handles well and even though it has the GT suspension and 18" wheels, it rides incredibly smoothly over bumps and ruts (living rurally, there are a LOT). There's a stretch where I expected the Golf to bottom out, but it doesn't - whereas the Passat's mudflaps always did. Saying that I wonder if it would if I fitted VW flaps.... It's quieter than the Passat too, but I suspect that might be because the rear bearings on the Passat might have been on their way out.

Performance - I'm not sure yet - I took the Passat out for a run yesterday as I was selling it and it had been stood for 2 weeks. The Passat, even though it has the "older" 140bhp diesel (is it an older engine?) felt so much quicker, it picked up faster, earlier (1800rpm) and just seemed to go far better. The Golf, by comparison never feels fast - even at (an alleged) 100 (not by me of course, y'honour) - the Golf will, however, cruise happier, quieter, smoother and way more economical than the Passat.

Parking - I've had a Passat with parking sensors for 18 months - I have to remind myself that I have a shorter car and what I see in the back IS the back. It's a doddle to park and I've not hit anything yet (touching the OH's car on the drive doesn't count!)

Economy - I'm stunned as to how, so far, economical the Golf is being. This morning, for example, I dropped my daughter off with the MIL and then drove to work. A journey with a mix of 20 miles of pure rural road (10 of 30-40-50-60-70 driving and 10 of spirited driving after I dropped the little one off), 40 of motorway (76 using CC) followed by 5 in town (30-40) to the office. Average MPG? 53. In the Passat I'd've been lucky to have got 48 for that average journey.

Usable space - well, there was always going to be a compromise going from the Passat to the Golf. The compromise, however, surprises me. For a "family" car, the number of pockets and cubbys that the Golf doesn't have is pretty surprising. The Passat had more slots and pockets than you could shake a stick at, whereas the Golf, for some reason, doesn't. A major gripe here is the armrest cubby - or lack thereof. Yes, I can get my ipod in it and some change in the change slot, but that's it - what use is that to me? I don't want to be leaning over to the glovebox every time I want a CD, handcream, keys, etc. I don't have any pockets in the boot (no real surprise there) nor are the door pockets so big (well, it is a smaller car).

Boot space - No comparison - the Passat had infinitely more but then again, it had to. The Golf's boot? Well, with my daughter's pushchair in it, space is limited - but then again it's a full sizedd pushchair - the stroller is far smaller. The pushchair does fit widthways leaving a good sized space behind it. It's not a great sized boot and I do so wish that someone would copy Honda's innovative way of using the boot space and folding seats. (If you're not sure, try a Honda Jazz or Civic for boot space - there is NO comparison as Honda have given rear space more thought than any other manufacturere from what I can tell)

Passenger space - Well, I can't compare - the Passat had so much space it was fantastic. Rear space when I am in the car is good, it's never going to be as good as the Passat, so I can't really complain.

Comfort - Well, the Passat had great comfy seats with heated leather so the GT was always going to feel different. The seats are, however, good and comfortable, they hold me nicely and when I get in, they seem to hold on to me nicely - I do, however, have to remind myself to NOT sit on the seat side because it bloody hurts!

Looks - It's a good looking car - I've had a lot of compliments on how good it looks on the 18s. I still like it and hopefully the OH will eventually too!

It feels like a good, comfortable cruiser. It's a quiet car. It's a "big" feeling car. It's a good looking car (in my opinion). Currently, it's a filthy car too.

How does it compare to the Passat? Well, I drove them both yesterday and the Passat was a more comfortable car to be in, but it's a big softy and that's a plus. Strangely enough, it's ride wasn't as good and comfy as the Golf.

Are there things I'd like to see improved? Yes.

Am I happy? For now, yes, I think so.

Do I like the Golf? Yes.

Would I have had a different make/model? Not sure on that one, but I'm plenty happy with the Golf.

Hope you've read this far and I've not bored you senseless!

JTW
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

2. Re: My first impressions of my GT TDi Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Can't wait for Wednesday now.

0 0 0

3. Re: My first impressions of my GT TDi Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the review James ....... I am considering the Golf GT also and currently have a Passat - although it is the 130 not 140, so interesting to read your comparisons.

I've no kids and travel light, so I don't think the lack of cubby holes will bother me too much.

0 0 0

4. Re: My first impressions of my GT TDi Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its always good to have an honest review
    VW Golf GT TDI 140 - Stand by the mods are coming! So far - MK6 bodykit, R32 new style 18" alloys powdercoated in gloss black
    HOW HARD IS IT TO FIND AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR THE MK6 EH!!!

0 0 0

5. Re: My first impressions of my GT TDi Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My current daily driver is a Renaultsport Clio 197 (company car) which is on the way out to be replaced with a Golf GTD.
    I've just handed back a GT Tdi 140 that we had on a 3 day test drive and I have to agree that it's a cracking car. In fact if we'd been able to test drive one before having to choose we probably would have stuck with the GT, if we were able to mod it then that would be a definite!

Comfortable, quiet, in fact almost too quiet! I'm really looking forward for our car to arrive, roll on October!

0 0 0

6. Re: My first impressions of my GT TDi Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you liked the 140 derv you're gonna poo your pants at the GTD.

0 0 0

7. Re: My first impressions of my GT TDi Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie G View Post
    If you liked the 140 derv you're gonna poo your pants at the GTD.
    I'm not sure if I'd go that far
    I don't get excited unless the 0-60 time is below 4 and a bit

0 0 0