Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I need to replace my n/s lower suspension arm aft bush. Is it necessary to replace the driver's side also as this one isn't perished

Many Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Question Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talesy View Post
    Hi,
    I need to replace my n/s lower suspension arm aft bush. Is it necessary to replace the driver's side also as this one isn't perished

Many Thanks.
    Interesting question ...

If the car will require tracking/alignment post replacement (i.e. the ball/swivel joints are disturbed), then I'd imagine it would be worthwhile replacing both wishbone rear bushes simultaneously.

I believe that the LCA/Wishbone removal procedure requires separating the LCA/WB and ball/swivel joints, which if not carefully repositioned may affect alignment.
    However, I shall gladly await a more informed comment, concerning alignment requirements ...

TR7

0 0 0

3. Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many Thanks for your response TR7,
    I have ordered the parts, where I have gone for a wishbone assembly, believing there is a lot of hassle changing the bush without a press. Price was £22.95 from AVS parts. I'll try only one side first and if it handls differently, then I'll go for the other.

Cheers,

Talesy.

0 0 0

4. Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Please can someone add to this...Is it a straightforward job for doing at home? Do I need VW parts? How did OP get on? Just found out I need to do both on wifeys car for MOT!

0 0 0

5. Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Potentially straightforward if you are just replacing the control arm, but not sure about the ball joint.

To detach the control arm its three bolts from the balljoint side and two bolts+nut on the subframe. You will need all new bolts to refit and wheel alignment afterwards.

I've never done it, so don't know if the ball joint must be removed as well.

0 0 0

6. Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I understand that the ball joint comes as part of the arm.

DC

0 0 0

7. Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    No, the balljoint is normally sold separately.

If the balljoint has gone you will need to release it of the taper and then hacksaw through it to avoid having to take the CV joint out.

As for the lower arm replacement, quite straight forward but manoevering the balljoint into the arm can be a bit of a struggle the first time you do this.

As for replacing just one, the accepted rule of thumb with anything regarding brakes or suspension is to do both sides / or an axle set.

Also, rather than getting a new arm with the same voided (read squishy and short lived) bushes, it is far better to replace the flat bush, which is the one that wears with Audi TT or Leon Cupra items.

I swapped out a set of these bushes and replaced them with TT ones on my Golf4 when I had it with the aid of a ply spacer and a bench vice.

You do need to use quite a lot of force as can be seen by how the ply spacer is being distorted !

1 0 0

8. Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thankk you guys for the help.
    Big Col this is the replacement ordered...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported
    It says it includes ball joint.....Hopefully you wont say I've just bought a load of sh1te....

DC

0 0 0

9. Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    They look ok but no doubt won't last long!

0 0 0

10. Re: Lower suspension arm bush 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    5000 miles pa in wifeys shopping trolley....might see the car out!!!! Hopefully.

Thanks

DC

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast