Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Wink Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    shaft-50 Guest
    The mod bug's back again so here's my latest project.

Have decided to change the standard black centre dash/stereo surround trim on my Golf MK5 for the aluminium look version.

Used the following guide by "golfmk5gttdi". "How To" Remove / Install an RCD 300, RCD 500, MFD2 RCD 510 or RNS 510 in a MK5 Golf. Superb guide with step-by-step instructions with pics which is spot on and perfect for the pro's and newbies like me cheers mate.

Ordered the parts through local VW as the German ebay sellers and like were asking big bucks for it. Got it for a fraction of their rip off prices.

Have managed to add the upper vent/trim, after removing them both but awaiting for the lower one which is on back order from Germany so hopefully will arrive by end of the week.

Just some advice for those out there who take theres out, the hazard light and passenger airbag switches wires do not need to be disconnect (apparently if you do this you may get an airbag fault warning light requiring vagcom !), the two swtiches can be gently push out backwards out of the vent as a whole and pushed back into the new/replacement one.

I have added pics of it so far ... First two pics are of what the stock ones looked like once off.

As per usual, let me know what you think but please be gentle

Thanks

PS the last pic shows the standard trim missing and is awaiting the alu look one to be fitted.

Last edited by shaft-50; 18-04-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Pics

0 0 0

2. Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i also want to do this. Not just because you have. I've wanted to for ages.

how much were the parts?

0 0 0

3. Thumbs up Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    shaft-50 Guest
    Its nice to know i've done something to please the boys and girls on here

The parts cost me around £75.00 from my local VW dealer which included a discount I am lucky to get.

Hope this helps.

PS if you need the part numbers let know, ta

0 0 0

4. Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    mjom89 Guest
    sorry to go off of the subject, but is that the RNS 510 head unit?

0 0 0

5. Thumbs up Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    shaft-50 Guest
    Hi, yes it is the RNS510 head unit. It is Version B with V3 maps model.

0 0 0

6. Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did mine a few months ago. Here's a picture:
    VW Golf mk5 1.4 Sportline
    Sage Green

0 0 0

7. Wink Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    shaft-50 Guest
    Looks good mate

Shame you didnt do the bit around the ashtray cover too

Anyways, just out of interest, how much did you pay for your dash trims ?

0 0 0

8. Talking Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    shaft-50 Guest
    Well the remaining part landed today so I have completed the swap

0 0 0

9. Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looks good.

How did you get hold of an RNS510 and do you mind if I ask how much it set you back?
    2010 Astra SRi 1.6T
    2004 Golf GT TDI 2.0 - Sadly Departed

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

0 0 0

10. Thumbs up Re: Replacing standard front centre dash vents stereo trim surround for genuine aluminium trim 
    shaft-50 Guest
    Off topic but anyways, the RNS510 which I think is the daddy of all genuine vw headunits was bought off ebay as when I ordered my car vw were asking £2500 for it. It cost me £900.00 and that was for the B version. Easy to fit yourself and is only a 5-10 min job. A superb unit all round

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast