1. Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am pulling my hair out here with my problem!

I have a VW Passat 2001 1.9 TDI SE 130BHP. My car simply does not have any power. The turbo simply does not kick in and when going up a hill the car drags! when on the motorway even the slight steep hill then even micra's are overtaking me.

In any gear my car just simply picks up very very slowly.

The Turbo kicks in once in a while (like once every 20/30 drives!) for about 2 seconds and then back to normal power loss again!

Reading some of the forums on here I changed the MAF and has still not made any difference.

I am a total novice with cars, I can do the small jobs but I can't get too technical and to be totally honest I need to do this job myself as I am struggling with money (Credit Crunch!).

Can someone tell me what is wrong with my car? also give me a step by step problem resolution, not just simply your x pipe is blocked, I need to know where the pipe is located (Pictures will be good) and show me how i can rectify the problem.

I need to sort this out and do it on my own so please please please can someone help me out on this one.

Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    You need to get the car fault code read before you waste any more money replacing parts that are not faulty. Where did the Air Mass Meter (AMM) come from? Presumably because you are short of money you did not buy one genuine, how much did it cost?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    If you say where you are in the country someone might offer to give you a code read for a few beers. Then you will have somewhere to start looking.

0 0 0

4. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got it from local parts shop, cost me £35 and the parts shop chap showed me how to replace it.

0 0 0

5. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It could well be faulty; there are huge numbers of Chinese replicas about that simply don’t work. If you paid £35 then he will have paid £15 and that means the unit is utter crap. Have a fault code read done, if that fails to bring up a code, fit a new genuine VW AMM bought only from a VW dealer and see how that goes. If that cures the problem you need to go back and ask for your money back AND for the £15 odd you will have had to pay extra as a genuine AMM is exchange.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Surely cant be the MAF as it works (once in a blue moon) for a few seconds and then kicks out again? but who am I to suggest that! will change MAF again and see what happens - or shall I get the VAG com done first?

0 0 0

7. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Yes, get a fault code read done first.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I doubt it was the MAF - IME more likely to be the MAP or the N75 if any.

As said get a fault code read. Check all the small 3mm vaccum pipes or just replace them for the sake of £5 with silicone pipes.

Check the black plastic actuator arm is working on the side of the EGR valve - should move back then forward as soon as the engine is turned off. If not the diaphragm is split which will leak vacuum.

If all eles fails it might be coked up turbo vane springs. Can be cleaned either turbo off or using invotec cleaner.

HTH

0 0 0

9. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had the same problem in January, i had no access to a code reader, replaced maf 1st no change then changed the sensor on the induction pipe towards the back of the engine near the fuel filter, goes like the wind now, would recommend a diagnostic test if you can afford it. mine was pot luck.

0 0 0

10. Re: Power Loss / Turbo loss on VW Passat 1.9TDI 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilp View Post
    Had the same problem in January, i had no access to a code reader, replaced maf 1st no change then changed the sensor on the induction pipe towards the back of the engine near the fuel filter, goes like the wind now, would recommend a diagnostic test if you can afford it. mine was pot luck.
    That was the MAP sensor you replaced. They seem to cause more problems than the MAF sensors.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast