1. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    see attached invoice from Wurth with details needed. My wife has a Passat 1.9 Tdi Highline and I was considering doing heres as well.
    Good luck with your job SMEG and I look forward to the post c/w pics showing how it all went.
    Jim
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Sam; 27-04-2009 at 01:29 PM.

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

2. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jim,

tried to resize your invoice but narrative is blurred. Any chance you could reply with paint and laquer codes please?

cheers,
    Nigel.

0 0 0

3. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi Nigel, see codes etc as requested

08932101 - rust stop primer wnite/grey
    0893351930 - lacquer spray special transparent
    0893351900 - lacquer spray special wheel silver

Hope that helps Nigel.....if there's anything else you need please feel free to either pm me or email me anytime.

I'm kinda torn whether or not to do the wheels on my wifes Passat....The car looks great but from the wheels could do with a little refurb. Problem is I know from past experience I'll do it and she'll curb them in a week or month or two

Lookin forward to the write up and pics Nigel

Jim
    Last edited by Sam; 27-04-2009 at 01:29 PM.

LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

2 0 0

4. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Hi Nigel, see codes etc as requested

08932101 - rust stop primer wnite/grey
    0893351930 - lacquer spray special transparent
    0893351900 - lacquer spray special wheel silver

Hope that helps Nigel.....if there's anything else you need please feel free to either pm me or email me anytime.

I'm kinda torn whether or not to do the wheels on my wifes Passat....The car looks great but from the wheels could do with a little refurb. Problem is I know from past experience I'll do it and she'll curb them in a week or month or two

Lookin forward to the write up and pics Nigel

Jim

sorry to be a bit thick but are the codes you quoted suitable for all VW alloys - my Golf Mk5 has 15" Misano wheels which are in pretty good nick but the odd mark which could do with touching up - I also have a Toyota Auris whose alloys have a few minorish marks - would i have to get seperate paint/spray & lacquer or could i use the same for both vehicles

0 0 0

5. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I understand that this process has been done with the wheel removed but can it be done with the tyre on the wheel and the wheel still on the car providing everything is masked up?

I just need to repair a few chips but dont really want to go the full length.

Also is there a reference for the wurth paint for a 2004 golf gti (mk v)

Thanks for your help

Richard

0 0 0

6. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    doobs - sorry, the short answer is I don't know for sure. All I know is mine was a perfect match.
    If you're gonna do all the chips n nicks on all the wheels why not go the whole hog and do the full wheel? If its only a few scrapes n scratches here n there the rest would only need a very light sanding to provide a key for the primer.
    Certainly make sense to do the Toyota as well with the same paint...that way any further problems on either car and you're good to go.

Richard - In short, yes, you can do the repair with the tyre still on the wheel as I did on my Jag x type a year or so ago. Take the wheel off the car first / or leave it on, whatever your preference....BUT.....make sure you mask very well to avoid overspray.
    Unsure about the paint code for VW Golf GTI.

Top tip though.....you either have / or buy an old alloy .....you'll get one for a few £ and practice on it. It'll let you make any mistakes on a rim that doesn't matter, you can check colour match too, and you get to perfect your technique

All the best guys

Jim

0 0 0

7. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi i am sure you have probably received numerous amounts on Post's on this

But just looking at your thread i have few questions if you dont mind ?

Basically the products you got

1.) The oakey sanding sponge you have is fine/medium did you need any other grits or was that grit fine because some DIY's I have seen work with different grits at different stages

2.) What Body filler brand is that

3). Lastly the bit the confuses me the most the Wurth Paint I see the lacquers both say lacquer special spray

But one says something like "felgen silber" and the other "klarlack nonchclanz"

Is one lacquer the actual SILVER spray and the other is the lacquer you used as the finishing lacquer after your second coat of paint, which is a polish thing ?

Sorry for the ridiculous questions as i am not that clued up on the whole procedure

Look forward to your reply

Best Regards

P.S the basic jist of it

>Sand
    >Add Filler
    >Sand Again
    >Add Primer
    >First Coat of Paint
    >Second Coat of Paint
    >Finalise with Lacquer

0 0 0

8. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hey X2, sorry just seen your post.
    I actually had some medium sandpaper for the worst bits / once filler applied, med fine sanding sponge and fine sponge not shown.....any brand will do.
    Sorry, can't remember the filler but any metal filler for that purpose will do the job. If in doubt just ask at your local DIY store and I'm sure they'll recommend one for you.
    I see your point about the Wurth spray cans as they both do say similar, however you did notice the difference. The felgen silber is the silver alloy paint and the klarlack nonhclanz is the lacquer - amazing stuff it really is.

I did a refurb once with some cheapo Halfords stuff and it was a nightmare from start to finish - you really do only get what you pay for here.

Top tip is - sand, sand, sand and then sand again!

I've just done a partial refurb of one of my wheels after a blowout on the M74 heading south. Hit a piece of 2" x 4" length that someone had carelessly dropped on the carriageway and BAM.....blowout at 80mph.
    I was impressed by the way the car handled as it went down reallll quick.

After assesing the damage ( sorry no pics ) the impact had caused a rip in the alloy causing a real sharp edge that immediately tore out the tyre sidewall.
    My local Kwik Fit friend removed the tyre for free and inspected the damage - quite nasty were his words!
    I refurbed over 2 days.
    Cleaned the wheel thoroughly
    sanded down damaged area
    filled damaged area then sanded down
    filled again and re sanded
    cleaned the whole wheel again and masked off damaged area
    2 coats of grey primer and a very light sanding
    3 coats of silver alloy paint ( WURTH ) with a light sanding again followed by a light T cut to help the finish and blend in the work.
    3 coats of lacquer again with a very light T cut to finish off and blend in to the original paint.

Took it back to my Kwik Fit friend and he said - Fantastic job, who did that for you? As he was trying to locate the repair
    Told him I did it over 2 days and he was gobsmacked.....

The trick was that the WURTH paint blended beautifully aided by careful prep and lots & lots of sanding.
    Put the tyre back on the wheel ( Conti contact sport 2 ) I was quoted mostly around £175 - £190 for this tyre - he did it for £130

Back on the car and all is good with the world - even though I'm £130 lighter
    Last edited by JimC64; 27-12-2009 at 05:20 AM.

0 0 0

9. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great guide, deserves to be bumped. I will even try it myself.

0 0 0

10. Re: How to refurb your own alloys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Go Fox......
    Lookin forward to your write up with pics etc to see how you get on.....I'm sure you'll get great results

0 0 0

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast