Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have a 2002 100 bhp golf mk4
    symptoms...loss of power , poor mpg
    this normally points to maf failure,so have replaced.
    but nothing has changed ,no difference.
    can anyone give me a clue as to where to go now ??
    any help would be appreciated
    cheers
    pp

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid pete
    have a 2002 100 bhp golf mk4
    symptoms...loss of power , poor mpg
    this normally points to maf failure,so have replaced.
    but nothing has changed ,no difference.
    can anyone give me a clue as to where to go now ??
    any help would be appreciated
    cheers
    pp
    Hi

What make of MAF sensor did you fit? only reason I ask, is I know GSF and Euro Car Parts sell some cheap units, but I have known these to be less reliable than a genuine Bosch or VAG (Bosch) unit.

I would also never rule out a new part not to be faulty.

Stuart
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart
    Hi

What make of MAF sensor did you fit? only reason I ask, is I know GSF and Euro Car Parts sell some cheap units, but I have known these to be less reliable than a genuine Bosch or VAG (Bosch) unit.

I would also never rule out a new part not to be faulty.

Stuart
    Hi Stuart
    Thanks for speedy reply.
    was a genuine bosch bought from euro car parts.
    this is probably a dumb question but..
    is there any difference between the tdi maf and the petrol one ?
    pp

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    There must be about 10 different MAF sensors I would imageine depending on year, engine type etc. I actually work for Euro Car Parts in Leeds, and know we have problems with the cheaper ones, Bosch are, as a rule OK, but may still be worth getting it checked out.
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bought it from euro car parts team valley gateshead.
    how would i get it checked out ?
    would i need to get it hooked up to vag.com or could euro car parts check it for me .

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I know we are unable to check, have no means to do so I would either do what you say and use VAG-COM ( may find other fault codes) or speak to a VAG specilaist for advise.

I have read on other forums, that if you disconnect the unit, it makes the ECU use a default set of values, so if the unit is at fault you should see an improvment. But I would confirm this first.... I think you may have to reset the fault codes using VAG-COM after as the engine management light may stay on.

STuart
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok stuart
    thanks for taking the time
    looks as tho an expensive visit to a dealer is the answer,
    hate going to vw always feel as tho i'm being ripped off
    thats my christmas bonus gone then....
    never mind easy come easy go
    cheers anyway.
    pp

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is there any difference between the tdi maf and the petrol one ?
    pp
    Yes there is...

The petrol ones run cooler, and therefore "fool" the engine into thinking more air is going in. The result is that more fuel is pumped in too.

This results in more power (and sometimes more smoke) but oddly, because of the way diesels work, it doesn't necessarily mean less MPG.

I ran a 2.0 petrol MAF in my 110TDi Sharan. The power increase was very noticeable, and driven carefully, it actually did MORE MPG.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very interesting veedweeb
    thanks for that...i was just curious.
    didnt say anything on the box nor was i asked if it was a diesel or petrol
    maf i required,dont suppose it mattered anyway in my case as it made no difference.
    pp

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    very interesting veedweeb
    thanks for that...i was just curious.
    didnt say anything on the box nor was i asked if it was a diesel or petrol
    maf i required,dont suppose it mattered anyway in my case as it made no difference.
    pp
    Very strange, did they ask for the registration number of the car? if so, that would give them all the details they need, such as engine number, and chassis/Vin number, so they should have given you the correct one.

If you want me to check it out for you on Tuesday, on holiday until then, email or PM your regisreation and the part number they supplied, and I will confirm if you have been given the correct MAF.

Was there no difference from the day you fitted the new one? or did the problem re-appear after a period of time?

Stuart
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast