1. Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Need to have the windscreen replaced on my 08 passat sport, is there anything to look out for? Never had to have a screen replaced before.

Any areas that might get damaged?

Is the windscreen tinted? If so will autoglass know the right colour?

Cheers Stuart

0 0 0

2. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The windscreen is a standard tinted one - they'll be able to provide the right one - I don't think many manufacturers do non tinted these days.

I had mine done when this happened and there were no problems at all.

I had mine done by RAC, so all I can say is to make sure it's done by a reputable company and check all the work for quality. The only time I had a problem was when the same thing happened on a Rover 200 and they "forgot" to seal the bottom of the windscreen - fortunately it was summer so no harm (the loudness of the whistling Turbo was, however, rather cool - for about an hour anyway)

It'd be more of an issue if you're getting the rears done as they are smoked (aren't they?).
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

3. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Don't get it done at home. It should be done under cover and left to cure for several hours before being moved. Fitters often don't tell you this and if you end up with a water leak it's screen out again and that isn't fun.

0 0 0

4. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Forgot to say what Martin said too - I took mine in (as you can see) to them and left it about 4 hours with them.

Also forgot to add - if you've a rain sensor or heated front screen (is that an option on a Passat?) make sure you tell them that too.
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

5. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_tiger_woo View Post
    if you've a rain sensor or heated front screen (is that an option on a Passat?)
    Yup, both are available options. As are the automatic (daylight-sensing) lights.

[The heated windscreen, so I'm told, makes a replacement windscreen *definitely* worth risking one's No Claims Bonus for, rather than taking the cost on the chin. Something to bear in mind]
    Matthew Exley
    '08 Passat 2.0 TDI Estate.

0 0 0

6. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the quick replies guys, car has both auto wipers & lights so will let AutoGlass know.

0 0 0

7. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had mine replaced in Jan, they have to remove your wiper arms too! the bill from autoglass was over Ł600! luckily i only had to pay the Ł60 excess on my insurance

0 0 0

8. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My windscreen also needs replacing by autoglass and they took note that i had the extra options for the rain sensors and auto headlight but not the heated seats.
    Will this make a difference?
    Also the screen has a front auto heat and not sure if this is standard?

I asked for a VW screen but they said all screens are the same.. is this the case?

Thanks

0 0 0

9. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had my back window done. make sure they haven@t cut into any of the pillar trims with the heat wire they use to cut out the old window. Also, make sure any pillar trims are re-fitted properly.

Lastly, make sure they've not chipped your paint anywhere.

0 0 0

10. Re: Windscreen replacement on Passat sport 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revver View Post
    I had my back window done. make sure they haven@t cut into any of the pillar trims with the heat wire they use to cut out the old window. Also, make sure any pillar trims are re-fitted properly.

Lastly, make sure they've not chipped your paint anywhere.
    Thanks.Well they changed it yesterday with a wire cutter from ez (something). lookslike a great gadget..
    Its not a VW stamped screen but it looks the same and has the front heated element. Just need to check in the dark to make sure the autolights and wipres work.

All in all it took him around 3 and a half hours and from my first glance it looks like hes done a good job. I'll check it properly on the weekend. i even cleaned the leaves which were going into the filter box on the engine compartment while he had it off..

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast