1. A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Technically speaking - not correct I know, but the chrome ( effect ) trim on the doors of my A6 ( 07 ) have AGAIN turned milky / cloudy.
    I've had these replace under warranty from Audi twice now and they've gone again!!!
    Car is washed with care always by hand and no harsh chemicals are used. The resat of the chrome trim is fine - its just these and it looks unsightly and really pis*es me off.
    I'm gonna have them AGAIN for it cos its not right on a car such as this.....any / all feedback welcome as again I believe that this is a known issue.

thanks
    Jim
    0 0 0

2. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    0 0 0

3. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Hey Darren, checked the thread, thanks
    However, I took the car to the dealership today and asked that they again replace these under warranty and I will push for this. This is a known issue although to date they do not openly admit it as it will open the floodgates for more claims....I checked some of the newer / older cars on the forecourt and nearly all had the same problem. Its down to how much you care about the car and the finer details I guess.
    Just for your info - these trims are NOT made from the same material as the rest of the chrome trim. They are actually a plastic material coated to look like chrome......hence the reason the rest of my trim is as new.
    I'd really like this thread to be made a sticky, or better still take a poll on this....In the unlikely event that they refuse to replace for a third time under warranty I WILL be approaching Watchdog to take up the case and the more info the better to help the cause for the little guy.
    At present at one dealership in this year ( 3 months ) 11 sets of trims have been replaced......ONE DEALER!!!
    Comments please?
    0 0 0

4. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jim,

Good luck with getting them replaced.

I do feel that you are on a road to nowhere with trying to publically influence a response or acceptance of responsibility from Audi.

As its a cosmetic issue and not a safety problem I doubt anyone will take it seriously. VERY, VERY frustrating I know, but that's the world we live in. It usually takes a fatality to get manufacturers to take action. Even then the big boys weigh off the cost of compensation to families who have lost a loved one against the cost of a recall or indefinately replacing defective components.

You stand more chance at dealership level.

Regards
    D
    0 0 0

5. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Well eother way Darren, it won't be for the want of trying I assure you.....no to me, means ask someone else, ask again, try a different approach...........I'll keep you all informed

Jim
    0 0 0

6. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is from the official Elsa Win CD's

Problem description
    Mat aluminium trim strip discoloured, milky

Cause
    The silver-coloured trim strips of the Audi models consist of pure aluminium (AL 99.9).
    The use of aluminium on the vehicle is in line with the Audi philosophy and helps to protect the environment, since during the production of conventional chrome trim strips an exceptionally high number of pollutants and toxins are released.
    Unlike chromed trim strips the disposal of trim strips of pure aluminium is relatively easy.
    During their production aluminium strips are highly polished. Then an protective coat is applied by anodal oxidisation.
    This anti-corrosion coat is between 8 - 10 micrometer thick and transparent.
    It is relatively brittle similar to a ceramic coat. This means, fine hairline cracks are created on the strip if it is bent, thus damaging the protective coat.
    No polish or alkalic/acid cleaning agents must be used, as they can damage the aluminium coat. Please observe the processing instructions of the cleaning agents you use (for instance industrial dust remover).
    In car washes alkalic intensive cleaners are used.
    As these cleaners are highly concentrated, they must be sufficiently thinned down with water. Make sure that remnants of the cleaner on the vehicle are completely rinsed off. This is especially important on hot summer days, as the water dries relatively quickly and remnants of the cleaner cling to the vehicle surface, which can cause damage.
    If the protective coat is damaged, this leads to white corrosion on the aluminium (the trip steams up, becomes mat or milky, see attachment).
    [IMG]file:///C:/ElsaWin/docs/hs2/A/en-GB/viewer/hst2-html-view-2003-10/res/hinweis.gif[/IMG]
    •Please observe the information in the owner's manual about the care of aluminium strips.
    Production solution
    No change.

Service solution
    Replace damaged trim strips. Explain the background to the customer.

Accounting instructions
    This is no fault in the sense of warranty.
    0 0 0

7. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

They are not indeed replaced under warranty, but, the customer goodwill sitaution kicks in.....if you're nice to your dealer I guess.

UPDATE - Possibility that mine may be replaced for the 3rd time. If this is the case, there is talk of coating them as new with a lacquer to help protect the finish and see if that resolves the issue. If the go ahead is given, I'm up for it as I just want my car to look as good as new as thats the way I try to maintain it

Jim
    0 0 0

8. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

BUMP>>>

Jim
    0 0 0

9. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

SUCCESS>>>>>

Whilst talking to the dealer earlier today about " other issues " see losing coolant thread I discussed the chrome trims that had AGAIN turned milky / cloudy.
    The resolution? They WILL replace them for a 3rd time now. Not only that but they are going to try coating them with a lacquer to protect the finish and then fit them and see it this works. Ok, so I might be a Guinea pig as far as this is goes but as far as I'm concerned ....its a result

I'll keep you all informed as to my progress as I'm sure there are more than a few people affected by this

Jim

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's
    0 0 0

10. Re: A6 - Chrome trim on doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats a bit of a result.

Are the door chrome trims the same material as the roof bars on an avant? The door trims on my '01 Avant are fine, but the roof bars could do with something to give them a bit of "voom" ....
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast