Notices

User Tag List

Thread: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07)

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
  1. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polvertum View Post
    Gasket is between cover, where are bulbs, and rest of housing. I dried clusters after removing the cover with bulbs.

Sorry, cant send you picture. I put them tougether and monted it back on car.

Only thing is, what happens when it rains, or when i wash car with pressure washer? For now, moisture/fogging is gone. :-P
    I'm guessing you're on about the rubber that is sealing the bulb housing as shown in the photo below. You think be removing that it should stop the condensation/water ingress into the light cluster. The photo shows a rubber seal in very good condition, I doubt mines will look like that.

0 0 0

2. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, that's it.

0 0 0

3. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    i was also concerned about moisture ingress with the drilling of the holes, this is why i removed the foam to replace it with rubber. Mine was actually wet.
    i never fitted the rubber as i didn't think it would compress, this is how i left it out and simply never bothered going back. the lack of gasket or holes being drilled lets what moisture does get in naturally evaporate again. lets face it moisture vapor will get out a lot more easy than water get in.
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

4. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polvertum View Post
    Gasket is between cover, where are bulbs, and rest of housing. I dried clusters after removing the cover with bulbs.

Sorry, cant send you picture. I put them tougether and monted it back on car.

Only thing is, what happens when it rains, or when i wash car with pressure washer? For now, moisture/fogging is gone. :-P
    Any updates on water ingress with the foam gasket removed with regards to pressure washing and natural rainfall, I would like to know as I'm wanting to get these rear lights demisted!

0 0 0

5. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Out for over a year no issue. No issues reported from drilling holes either holes were drilled directly on top of light unit...

0 0 0

6. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    In last 2 days was raining really bad. There is no sign of fogging/moisture in clasters. I cant see, without taking it a part, is any water inside. Everything looks fine for now. My biggest concern is led stop lights. If water goes in, they will make a trouble.

0 0 0

7. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cheers for the information and vote of confidence for taking out the foam gasket guys. I'll attempt it on Thursday after the car has hopefully passed its MOT!

Maintenance Thread: Maintenance Thread (VWAudi)
    2005 Audi A6 C6 2.0 TDI SE (BLB) (Akoya Silver)

0 0 0

8. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same issue with my Audi a4 B8 tail lights. Where would I drill the holes on the b8, any idea?

0 0 0

9. Re: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Better late than never,

I eventually got around to drying my lights out today with a hairdryer. They were pretty bad in terms of the amount of water that I poured out of the cluster itself, good 10ml's of water. The condition of the inside of the cluster had deteriorated a little due to the water ingress, but I'm happy to finally see the cluster without water condensation and have a clear lens!

The solution I chose to keep the moisture at bay was to remove the rubber seal around the bulb holder as recommended by @swalker. The rubber seal was dried out and cracked so it wouldn't be doing much of a job in terms of sealing the unit and keeping it water tight. I'm hoping the condensation won't return and I'll eagerly wait and see what happens when it rains and when it's humid outside.

Before:

After:

Maintenance Thread: Maintenance Thread (VWAudi)
    2005 Audi A6 C6 2.0 TDI SE (BLB) (Akoya Silver)

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post

Hey Gup......well, as you know I've pretty much tried the lot with the condensation in the lights issue!

I've had them off around 4 or 5 times now, dried them off, re seated the seal, applied sealant etc etc and the problem remains.

At the weekend I decided with nothing to lose to try your route. Took the lights off and dried them all thoroughly ( 30 mins with a hairdryer ) and then proceeded to drill holes on the underside. I driled around 8 holes or so on each on and re fitted them onto the car.

You don't want to drill in to the reflcetor part, just enough to get the drill through and create an air flow.

Here's your pic edited below to show roughly where / how I did mine

As the car was recently detailed and the sun was out, it made a nice change to see the rear with clean dry lights, shining and the 2 tail pipes all shiny too......looking good if I say so myself....lol

I haven't washed the car again as yet, but had plenty of rain on Saturday evening and all day today.
    As far as I can see the lights still seem clear!

I'm hoping this is a long term fix, but we'll see.
    I'll wait for lots more rain and several washes and see if we are still clear and report back of course, for the benefit of all
    Huge necrobump, but I had made an account just to see the photos on this forum for a fix and also wanted to thank you for posting your solution to this issue. I been through nearly the same ordeal with my B6 A4 Avant, which is plagued by inadequate ventilation of the lights, I tried everything including sealing them up with silicone, desiccant packets, etc. I eventually broke down and bought a new set, but they would stay fog free, for about a year or so before the condensation would build up and not go away unless you removed them and dried them out with a hairdryer, etc. Instead of buying another set just to replace them again (already been through two new sets), I decided to brave up and drill some holes for additional ventilation. I'm happy to report that the condensation has stayed away even after a car wash and temperature swings. What is interesting is why vent hole that's already present isn't enough to stop the condensation and also why the new lights stay dry for a year before fogging up.

0 0 0

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142