Notices

User Tag List

Thread: RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07)

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
  1. RESOLVED: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi all, sorry, but I need to revive an old topic... Does anyone have any problems with condensation or their rear light clusters???

My A6 is 2 years old now and I'm on my 3 rd replacement set ( all under warranty from Audi )...the set on now, replaced in January is also showing very noticeable signs of condensation......NOT GOOD! My car is kept clean n loved and generally looks great most of the time so this is really annoying the hell outa me... Lookin for feedback guys....I'm sure this is a known issue

UPDATE 31/03/09 - Called into the dealer today re this and other issues. This is the 3rd replacement set as previously stated changed late January and they are now full of condensation. according to the tech, this is "normal" and once lights are activated the heat will disperse the moisture....RUBBISH !! told him I've had Jags, Fords, Vauxhalls, VW's and Saabs none of which showed these issues and it is NOT normal and I want them replaced under warranty AGAIN! I've spoken with AUDI direct on this and it WILL be replaced one way or another. The only way it seems to stop this is to only drive the car on dry days and never under any circumstances wash it

For your info....I happen to know that this dealer hass replaced 15 sets of A6 rear lights this year alone??? Stock at Audi to date for these lights sit at 250+.....Can you imagine how many sets that is? Can you imagine the costs related to these parts alone??? Not normal in any way shape or fashion IMO I want this thread to be made sticky, or better still take a poll to try and get an idea of how many may have been replaced to date or how many people have these issues but have not yet complained or asked the question only to be told NO by Audi! In the event that these are not replaced my intention, if necessary is to raise the matter with the BBC's Watchdog programme.

Comments please? Jim

Moderator edit - Resolved.

Solution is in post #114 click here
    Last edited by Guest 2; 21-06-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Adding link to solution and editing thread title.

1 1 0

2. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got this on my '55 A6 saloon. Didn't really notice it till after it was delivered and I was giving it a good wash.

Didn't have time to get into a dealer to enquire about it but good to know that they are most likely going to be aware of the problem and wil replace under warranty. Will have to wait till I am back in the UK though.

It's most likely a design issue with the sealed unit letting moisture in.

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I too have had mine replaced on my Avant, though only once a couple of years ago and they have been fine since. I did have a good laugh when they told me it was due to using a pressure washer to clean the car. It’s never been near a pressure wash!

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    HBA - you're right I think it is a poor design. I looked at it with the parts guy. When washing the car you can see a fine trickle of water running at the bottom of the lights, almost as if its between the light itself and the bodywork.....it isn't though - its actually in the light.
    Having looked at a new one out of the box you can see how poor the finish is. Even worse still the " seal" between the light and the bulb housing is soo cheap n nasty it'd struggle to seal against anything, let alone water!!

Flying Scot - rofl, they told me that too
    Funny thing is.....what do you think the valeters at Audi dealership clean the cars with??? You guessed it, a pressure washer.

See images below taken of rear lamps clearly showing condensation that Audi consider to be " normal " and will dissipate once the lights are turned on
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Sam; 27-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What makes me smirk is that the condensation I noticed on mine was on the reverse light.

Looks like I'll have to go everywhere backwards until it's gone.....

0 1 0

6. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    HBA - Lol....mine too come to think of it.

UPDATE - Spoke with Audi today re the rear light problem. They don't seem to ever have had this problem with the newer style LED lights, only the older style ones as I have. The consensus seems to be that they will replace them with the new LED lights as they seem to have a better finish / quality and this should resolve the problem......This will be my 4th set
    But if it works, I've won a watch and all under warranty, so fair play to Audi in my book

Jim
    Last edited by Sam; 27-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post

HBA - Lol....mine too come to think of it.

UPDATE - Spoke with Audi today re the rear light problem. They don't seem to ever have had this problem with the newer style LED lights, only the older style ones as I have. The consensus seems to be that they will replace them with the new LED lights as they seem to have a better finish / quality and this should resolve the problem......This will be my 4th set
    But if it works, I've won a watch and all under warranty, so fair play to Audi in my book

Jim
    Free LED lights! I wouldn't complain...
    Last edited by Sam; 27-04-2009 at 01:27 PM.
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Does anyone else have these problems? From the feedback I've been given there's lots more out there....anyone?

Jim
    Last edited by Sam; 27-04-2009 at 01:27 PM.

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    UPDATE>>>>>

Success - Whilst talking to the dealer earlier today re other issues " see - losing coolant thread and chrome trims thread " I mentioned about my rear light problem.
    They WILL replace them for the 4th time now under goodwill with the New LED style rear lights which to date they have not had a problem with.
    They may try running a silicone bead where the plastic flap meets the inner side of the boot area....Not ideal maybe but if it solves the problem I'll be happy.
    Its been a lot of hassle n grief to get here mind you, but if it solves the problem and means I don't have to visit the dealer every 5 minutes I'll be happy...or at least happier, lets say.

It just goes to show that with perseverance and not being fobbed off what you can achieve......too many people can't be bothered to fight for what is right IMO

Jim
    Last edited by Sam; 27-04-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: one pic in the sig is fine, no need to put it in every post you make

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 Rear light cluster ( 07) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I presume you are referring to the highline rear cluster that came with the Xenon headlight upgrade and not the new 2009 rear light cluster?

If it's the '09 rear cluster, I'd REALLY like to know how they fit.

My '05 A6 never had condensation in the rear lights for the 18 months I had it. My 2007 A6 does have it though. Was considering swapping them for the highline rears, the ones with the LED brake lights.
    But if the 09 rears fit, I'll have me some of them instead

Dave

0 0 0

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast