1. Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you provoke the front wheels into spinning or if you go over a speed hump too fast the front axles make a hell of a loud bang as the wheels drop down the far side. I can only assume this is caused by the locating struts banging in their bushes.

Anybody else noticed this?

0 0 0

2. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR View Post
    If you provoke the front wheels into spinning or if you go over a speed hump too fast the front axles make a hell of a loud bang as the wheels drop down the far side. I can only assume this is caused by the locating struts banging in their bushes.

Anybody else noticed this?
    I don't get it, The only time I have had this is with a light car. its caused by the front wheels being lifted from the ground due to the force exerted on them its not quite axle tramp as this only really affects rwd cars, This is a heavy car so driving over speed humps fast will make it hit its bumpstops hence the noise however doing what you say will do your car alot of damage, drive nice and slow over them and avoid wheel spin!

0 0 0

3. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Why would you want to promote wheelspin or go over speed bumps too fast?

Please post your registration number so that we can all avoid buying your car.
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

4. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    Please post your registration number so that we can all avoid buying your car.
    lol I was going to ask the same thing

0 0 0

5. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Er.... well, inevitably when I got this car two years ago there was an occasion after it had loosened up when I wanted to know what the good torque would let it do "off the line". Pulling away sharply was rewarded with this very alarming juddering banging, which I also felt through the steering. I also got it the first time I went briskly over a large speed hump, my belief is that it happens as the front wheels travel down the far slope and pull forwards against the suspension links. In day-to-day driving I enjoy using the torque of the diesel but I have learned to pull away with care especially in the wet and to take it easy over speed humps.

I have never experienced this happening with such ease in any other front drive car I've driven and I can only put it down to the huge torque pulling the suspension forward until the wheels spin, at which point everything bounces backwards with a loud bang. There is definitley no other looseness or vibration in regular acceleration. I am asking because I'm surprised that it happens so easily with a car of this quality. Has anybody else experienced this?

0 0 0

6. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not entirely sure what it is, but I think it is to do with the Traction Control mostly. I get this in my Passat, and used to get in it my Octavia VRS as well. Usually when attempting a rather optimistic getaway from the lights, the traction control kicks in rather too enthusiastically attempting to control the lack of traction, resulting in the banging noise. As to what exactly IS the noise, not sure!

0 0 0

7. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should definitely not be driving over speed bumps hard enough that you can hear the suspension banging! I go over ramps very carefully, like most people at about 10mph. I don't want to be footing a bill for new suspension prematurely
    2006 B6 Passat 1.9TDi 105 | 35k | Deep Black Pearlescent | 18" OZ Superturismo Rims | Chrome Grill | 35% Tinted Rear Windows | Boot Lip Spoiler | Debadged

0 0 0

8. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Deff TCS, as dook says, not sure what the banging is, poss rapid application of brake pads to affected wheel(s) but you don't feel it like the ABS as your foot is off the brake pedal.

On a sep note this car has some excellent safety features.
    Traction control
    ABS
    Stability control
    Brake assist with hazzards
    Brake disc wipe when raining
    Curtain airbags
    etc
    etc
    One of the main reasons for buying the car.
    VW Passat Estate 2.0 TDI DSG in Silver 2006

0 0 0

9. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza007 View Post

On a sep note this car has some excellent safety features.
    Traction control
    ABS
    Stability control
    Brake assist with hazzards
    Brake disc wipe when raining
    Curtain airbags
    etc
    etc
    One of the main reasons for buying the car.
    And one of the reasons why the insurance quote isnt too bad on my 1.9
    2006 B6 Passat 1.9TDi 105 | 35k | Deep Black Pearlescent | 18" OZ Superturismo Rims | Chrome Grill | 35% Tinted Rear Windows | Boot Lip Spoiler | Debadged

0 0 0

10. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudrig View Post
    You should definitely not be driving over speed bumps hard enough that you can hear the suspension banging! I go over ramps very carefully, like most people at about 10mph. I don't want to be footing a bill for new suspension prematurely

The whole point of my post, as I've been trying to explain, is tht it's NOT the suspension bottoming out. I would never drive so fast over a speed hump as to do this to a car, I have more respect for it!

What I'm trying to explain is that at anything other than dead slow you get a shockingly loud bang from the front wheels or axles as the wheels go down the far side of a speed hump. This is the same loud banging and vibration you get if the front wheels lose grip on a wet or a dry road. I'm trying to find out if anybody else has experienced it.

Apart from this alarming noise the car is completely normal and drives beautifully with no odd noises or vibrations.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast