1. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would say you need your front wishbone bushes replacing, you get a big thud over speed bumps. I had mine done early on, there was a VW TSB so no problem under warranty.
    VW Passat Estate 2.0 TDI DSG in Silver 2006

0 0 0

2. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It did it from brand new.

0 0 0

3. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Take it to your dealer and go over the same hump and ask him. It would appear that it's one of those things that can't be diagnosed at a distance, so to speak.

Might be something dropping off.....
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

4. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I have experienced the bang - accelerating away from lights in the wet. Presume it is traction control?

0 0 0

5. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hello.
    I got the same problem on a passat b6 1.8tsi 2009.
    Pretty sure it's axle tramp.
    Anyone got any solution since the op?
    Thanks.

0 0 0

6. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angelosl View Post
    Hello.
    I got the same problem on a passat b6 1.8tsi 2009.
    Pretty sure it's axle tramp.
    Anyone got any solution since the op?
    Thanks.
    I am always looking for a quick take off at lights and junctions but have only ever heard the bang once when pulling off to the right from a junction (not quite full lock and full acceleration). I was convinced that something had broken but on inspection everything was in perfect order. Then I remembered B6 have subframe movement issues and put it down to the fact that the excessive torque had caused the subframe to move slightly which may explain the loudness of the noise and no apparent suspension damage or issues. I am considering the ECS dead bolt kit from the States as this locks the subframe with non stretchy bolts with locating collars and therefore means they can be reused over and over.

In fact one of the American kits is called the Torque Solution Billet Bolt Kit and describes the subframe shift movement which can in extreme cases mean the subframe bolts actually fail. Caution therefore if the noise happens frequently as it may be weakening the subframe bolts.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

7. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I am actually looking to buy that passat, dont own it yet.
    However, on a brief test drive on wet it was doing it a lot.
    Was wondering if it is a common issue and/or a common specific part fault and maybe there is a fix. Cause other ways I liked it.

0 0 0

8. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angelosl View Post
    I am actually looking to buy that passat, dont own it yet.
    However, on a brief test drive on wet it was doing it a lot.
    Was wondering if it is a common issue and/or a common specific part fault and maybe there is a fix. Cause other ways I liked it.
    It is a common issue on these models and others on the same platform with an aluminium subframe. There are cheap stability plates that can be fitted between the subframe and rear subframe bolt holes that restrict the subframe from slipping under torque (the dead bolt kit is more effective but over £150 for the set whereas the plates are just a few pounds plus the cost of new bolts).

If there is more going on then there could be wear / slackness in other suspension components however but you can fit Poly bushes on a daily drive just not the harder compounds (they are rated based on hardness). I have Powerflex Black on the rear of mine as another issue is the wishbone bushes which move the wheel alignment out when worn (B6 have 4 wheel suspension alignment with adjustment front and rear). Really good when aligned properly but a tyre eater when not.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

9. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    It is a common issue on these models and others on the same platform with an aluminium subframe. There are cheap stability plates that can be fitted between the subframe and rear subframe bolt holes that restrict the subframe from slipping under torque (the dead bolt kit is more effective but over £150 for the set whereas the plates are just a few pounds plus the cost of new bolts).

If there is more going on then there could be wear / slackness in other suspension components however but you can fit Poly bushes on a daily drive just not the harder compounds (they are rated based on hardness). I have Powerflex Black on the rear of mine as another issue is the wishbone bushes which move the wheel alignment out when worn (B6 have 4 wheel suspension alignment with adjustment front and rear). Really good when aligned properly but a tyre eater when not.
    Thanks for that.
    About changing the bushes to poly, I see mixed reviews (after all its a family car, bought mainly for the comfort). I also think it's an expensive operation, cause of associated work.
    About these plates, is that something that a general vw service would do? And what cost should I expect?
    Thanks.

0 0 0

10. Re: Loud bang - front axle tramp? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    VW do the kit / plates quite cheaply but list them under Touran or Toureg (don't recall which). The have them on places like ebay too. Should be a simple job so labour cost should not be high if you can't do them yourself.

For Poly bushes most are rated for their function but you can fit a lower Shore rating for better comfort.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast