Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

have just found out that the bake rack we use is not suitable for estate cars!!

looking at estate specific racks and they seem to be in the region of £80-100 for 3 bikes.
    Although we have two racks for the roof ( we need to shift 4 bikes)
    I am really fed up with spending an hour plus fitting roof bars, racks and bikes before we even go out.
    so i was thinking of getting a tow bar fitted and having a tow bar carrier.

I have seen these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-TOW-BAR-FL...1%7C240%3A1318

has anyone fitted a tow bar and have any advice / reccomendations

cheers all

0 0 0

2. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I fitted a towbar on Monday to my estate. Fitting the bar was easy, once the bumper was removed. probabaly able to do it in about an hour, the dedicatad wiring kit was a different matter, that took several hours and involved removing a lot of trim from inside the car and quite some time working upside down at the electrical connections above the pedals.
    2008 Passat estate 2.0tdi 140 in silver
    2003 Astra estate 1.7dti in silver (work horse)

0 0 0

3. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you read this?
    Nothing to see here, move along..

0 0 0

4. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've got a removable one (never been used in the time I've had the car), but I certainly wouldn't get one from eBay - I'd go to somewhere reputable to supply & fit it so I at least have some comeback.

But that's me...
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

5. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I got one fit to my estate got quoted £150 but when i said cash he took £120 for it which I thought was a good price.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

0 0 0

6. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Alasdair,
    do you mind me asking where you got your tow bar from?

how easy is the wiring kit- I will only ever be using it for the bikes so although I guess i will need a lighting board i dont need any fancy wiring just the lights and indicators.

thanks all

0 0 0

7. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got mine fitted by EECO twixt Halifax and Bradford, cost £210.00 fitted, inculding twin electrics, split charge relays, stainless steel bump plate and chrome flipper cover.
    Excellent job done whilst I waited and was plied with tea/coffee.

Couldn`t see the point of doing it myself at that price, the electrics look to be a sod to fit, and if you scratch the bumper getting it on or off you`ll pay as much again to get the scuff repaired.
    I`m used to doing work on cars, but it just didn`t stack up in this case.

0 0 0

8. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringman View Post
    Alasdair,
    do you mind me asking where you got your tow bar from?

how easy is the wiring kit- I will only ever be using it for the bikes so although I guess i will need a lighting board i dont need any fancy wiring just the lights and indicators.

thanks all
    I bought mine from Towsure, a bit dearer than e-bay but have used them before. The wiring kit was a bit of a pain to fit, but it is possible to DIY I also fitted a second socket for caravan electrics. If you are going to fit one yourself don't expect to be finished it a couple of hours
    2008 Passat estate 2.0tdi 140 in silver
    2003 Astra estate 1.7dti in silver (work horse)

0 0 0

9. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have to say that as it will only be used for carrying pushbikes and i am only going to use a light board if i have to I was thinking of tapping into the light cluster at the rear and somehow putting a connector between the two (if that makes sense)

maybe i should just go with the roof mount for 1 bike and a 3 way mount on the rear.

anyone know of a 4 way rear mounted cycle rack

Thanks

0 0 0

10. Re: anyone fitted a towbar 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stringman,

Whatever you do, don`t go splicing into the cables with scotchloks or anything similar (which used to be O.K in the dim and distant past when electrics were simple and one cable carried one signal) or you will cause untold problems.

I believe you can get a pug-in cable which will do the job, but with multi-plex wiring systems you can have major problems if you don`t do it right.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast