Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving

1. 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there, am in need of some help

I have a 57 reg fox that has developed a fault, been to the dealership twice and the best they can come up with is "are you stalling it" or "its possibly that its been quite cold lately". Not very helpful for something thats on face value seems quite dangerous.

The latest occurrence:
    The most recent time instance was on a short drive to the supermarket. On pulling out of a junction and starting to make progress down the road, a loud beeping noise could be heard, then the ABS and Handbrake light came on....a few seconds later the steering wheel locked, shortly before arriving at a fork in the road, giving the driver no choice but to take the left fork which was kinda 'straight on' and bring the car to a stop and re-start it.

Additionally each time this happens the clock resets, and the trip counter returns to 0.

The dealership say they have checked the computer and say there isn't anything in the log. They have had the car all week, and don't really seem to be investigating anything

Is anyone maybe able to share any thoughts or suggestions?

It seems to me that something 'brake' related is failing and the computer is shutting down and reseting. But not sure what could be causing it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Little Houghton, Barnsley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im sorry iv never heard of such a thing before but what im wanting to know is it still under warranty?

0 0 0

3. Re: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes its still under warranty, and the vehicle is currently with the dealership we purchased it from (infact its been there since monday).

They've not really done anything with it except drive it about a bit, and checked the log on the computer. They have now said today they are going to give it an electrical test, I'm feeling sligthy reassured that they might actually know what a car is, and how to diagnose a fault.....

0 0 0

4. Re: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Little Houghton, Barnsley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lazy idle gits, id be up there watching them, did they give you a courtasy car?

Im sorry i cant help you any further i was just suprised as such a new car going wrong

0 0 0

5. Re: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No offer of a courtesy car....and they are not really keeping us in the loop, having to phone them and ask them what they are doing each day, and then it takes ages for them to ring back.

0 0 0

6. Re: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Time to try a different dealer if I was you, this is totally unacceptable. If you have no joy there contact VW HQ, their email address is,

customer.services@vwfs.co.uk

0 0 0

7. Re: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What You Mean Steering Locks ? Do You Mean You Just Loose All Power Steering And It Becomes Hard To Steer

0 0 0

8. Re: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    By steering locks, I mean as in the 'parking lock' the steering wheel clicks into a locked position. and will not turn, not that the powersteering has shutdown.

The VW dealership in question doesn't seem to understand how dangerous this is. Its mostly happened when parking however last weekend (the final straw) it happened when driving down the road, meaning the car would still move, but only in the direct it happened to be pointing in until the ignition was turned off and then the car restarted.

0 0 0

9. Re: 57 Fox ABS Light, Handbrake light, beeping and steering locks while driving 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I appreciate this post is now really old, hopefully it's still being monitored and I'm ok to post this here...

Did you ever get a resolution for this problem? I'm suffering similar issues with my 2010 fox, although the steering seems to be more a power failure than a locking issue. I bought it from a 2nd hand dealership 4 months ago and it worked fine for about 3 months. When the issue with the steering first happened, I didn't think anything of it and thought it was me being dumb and the wheel must have already fully turned when I parked it. Then I started having issues with it not starting at all and when I was driving it to the dealership to get the ignition sorted the handbrake light started flashing and it beeped a few times.

I mentioned it to them when I dropped it off, the ignition switch and starter motor were replaced and they didn't mention anything about the handbrake light. I've had it back just over a week and since then the steering has gone once, the handbrake light has flashed once, the abs light has come on then gone off once and the airbag light has come on then gone off twice (all separate incidents). And now I'm having intermittent starting issues again!

I took it back this morning but they couldn't find anything wrong, there were no faults logged in the computer and typically it started first time for them. They said they checked all the connections and they've done a system reset and to monitor it.

The issue may now be resolved and i may be jumping the gun with this post, but if it isn't any help pointing them in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

0 0 0