1. What no more Longlife 2 oil ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is potentially a problem for all of us running on Longlife 2 oil VW spec 503 / 506. I have just been on the line to Castrol Technical. They advise that the special properties in Longlife 2 protect the non hardened camshaft. The new VW engines run on Longlife 3, 507 spec. This is not backward compatible as the new VW engines have hardened camshaft and the longlife 3 does not have those ingredients that prevents the wear. Castrol have stopped making Longlife 2 and you cannot use Longlife 3 as damage will occur to the engine. Castrol technical do not know what VW intend to do regarding this. The person at Castrol tech was very knowledgable about engines and I have no doubt what he said is correct. Any one with any thoughts ??

0 0 0

2. What my VW main dealer had to say 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have spoken with my main VW dealer regarding the above.
    They say they use Longlife 3 oil in all longlife oil regime vehicles. I advised them of what Castrol, the manufacturer of the oil advised. I also advised them that my engine specifically requires VW 503 / 506 spec oil. The service dept checked the Longlife 3 oil bottle and confirmed that it was VW 504 / 507 spec. I asked them how could they then service my vehicle. They had no answer only to say that they only supplied Longlife 3 that does not meet the spec of my car. I asked are they therefore putting this oil into vehicles that do not meet this spec. They said yes as they had no other instruction from VW or Castrol. With regards to damaging the engine they said if this happened it would be Castrols responsiblity to change the camshaft as Castrol had not advised them otherwise. I advised that I am now advising them that they are using the wrong oil and gave them Castrol Tech tel number advising they should maybe ring them. I also contacted VW UK, logged a call regarding my query. They said they would get back to me in 48hrs as they did not know either. All a bit worrying and thankfully I have not put Longlife 3 in my Longlife 2 compatible engine. It seems neither VW or Castrol are talking to each other over such a critical matter and it would appear there are now lots of main dealer serviced vehicles out there running on the wrong oil. I therefore wont be buying any Longlife 2 spec vehicle in the future as you just wont know what oil was put in it.

1 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Keep us informed of your findings, I will make this thread stick so it stays at the top.

Thanks

Rob

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just a thought. Millers used to do, probably still do, a VW/Audi specific diesel oil. I am not sure if it would be Longlife 2 compatible but you could do worse than give them a bell. They ran one of the first A4 TDi's with their oil and their diesel additive, I believe doubling the servie interval and at half their recommended dosage for the diesel additive. At 225,000 in I think 2 years, it was stripped down with no significant wear ie, nothing needed to be replaced. OK, its who you believe but that was published by Diesel Car magazine years ago.
    nicfw

02 Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDi

0 0 0

Dizzydave Guest
    According to Comma, their Long Life 0W-30 oil meets VW 503/506. The Comma web site can give you the location of dealers in your area. I have taken the precaution of treating with ZX1 as well.

0 0 0

diacong Guest
    KimSue, did you get a final answer from VW?

Graham

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds a bit worring and it got me thinking....

I have planned to ring VW up in the morning as my service light has come on. I only had it serviced in March and usually get approx. 18,000 between services (it is a 3 year old 2.0TDI Touran with 94K on the clock) however this would make it on 9,500. Either the technician has reset it as fixed service instead of variable or something else is a miss (i.e. the oil!!!) The invoice only says SLX oil, however I got a refil bottle with the service, so I'm off to the car to check the spec.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzydave View Post
    According to Comma, their Long Life 0W-30 oil meets VW 503/506.
    VW also produce their own Quantum brand LongLife II oil which is 503/506 spec.

Jim.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I spoke with Castrol today and they informed me that it depends if your engine has the DPF filter, you can tell this by checking your handbook print out label: if the engine code is QG1 it does not have the DFP filter, if it is QG2 it does. If you use the older oils in the DFP engines it blocks the filter up. For QG1 engines the castrol guy recommended Edge 5w/30 (longlife) or use the Quantum (VW) brand.

Best thing is to check with the dealer and make sure they use the right grade.

0 0 0

10. Re: What my VW main dealer had to say 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimsue View Post
    I have spoken with my main VW dealer regarding the above.
    They say they use Longlife 3 oil in all longlife oil regime vehicles. I advised them of what Castrol, the manufacturer of the oil advised. I also advised them that my engine specifically requires VW 503 / 506 spec oil. The service dept checked the Longlife 3 oil bottle and confirmed that it was VW 504 / 507 spec. I asked them how could they then service my vehicle. They had no answer only to say that they only supplied Longlife 3 that does not meet the spec of my car. I asked are they therefore putting this oil into vehicles that do not meet this spec. They said yes as they had no other instruction from VW or Castrol. With regards to damaging the engine they said if this happened it would be Castrols responsiblity to change the camshaft as Castrol had not advised them otherwise. I advised that I am now advising them that they are using the wrong oil and gave them Castrol Tech tel number advising they should maybe ring them. I also contacted VW UK, logged a call regarding my query. They said they would get back to me in 48hrs as they did not know either. All a bit worrying and thankfully I have not put Longlife 3 in my Longlife 2 compatible engine. It seems neither VW or Castrol are talking to each other over such a critical matter and it would appear there are now lots of main dealer serviced vehicles out there running on the wrong oil. I therefore wont be buying any Longlife 2 spec vehicle in the future as you just wont know what oil was put in it.
    I have just come across this thread and having been through the process already thought I wouuld share with you my experience, starting first with my email to volkswagencustomercare@volkswagen.co.uk:

Dear Sirs

I have a question regarding the specification of oil used in my 2003 Passat TDI registration mark (my reg!).

The car is serviced according to the Longlife service regime with Castrol SLX Longlife II 0W-30 oil which carries the following specification: SAE 0W-30, VW 503 00/506 00/506 01, however when I have asked my local VW dealer, Arthur Prince in Loughborough, for longlife oil I was sold Castrol SLX Professional Powerflow 5w-30 which carries the following specification: SAE 5W-30; ACEA A3/B3/B4; VW 504 00 / 507 00.

My owners handbook says that my engine specifically requires VW 506 01 (for longlife) or VW 505 01 (for distance and time).

The dealership was quite helpful in explaining that the original oil is no longer in production and that they put the SLX professional powerflow in all longlife serviced cars. I have bought the oil but seek assurances from you as to it's suitability for my car. I realise that VW PD engines require a specific grade of oil only one that is to the exact specification. Could you please confirm therefore that I am able to use VW 504 00/ VW 507 00 oil in my car in future.

Many thanks for your help.
    and the reply was (fairly quick)

Thank you for your email outlining the issue of the right oil to use in your vehicle, I have spoken to our technical department and they have confirmed you can use VW504 00/ VW507 00 as supplied by one of our Volkswagen retailers. If you require any further assistance please contact me.

Yours sincerely
    Customer Service Advisor
    Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited
    Registered Office: Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, MK14 5AN Registered in England No: 514809
    Am I reassured having read this thread?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast