Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf GT TDI or BMW 1 Series 120D ??

1. Smile Golf GT TDI or BMW 1 Series 120D ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello All,

I've been looking around for a diesel car for awhile now and finally narrowed my choice down to either the Golf 2.0 GT TDI or the BMW 1 series 118D or 120D (pre face lift models).

My budget is around £8000 and i travel about 30000 miles per year. The most important features to me are:

1. Economy
    2. Fun to drive
    3. Big enough to fit 4 adults and a baby pram in the boot.
    4. Resale value

I have driven both models and they are both great cars, even though the power delivery is quite different on them.

Maybe some answers will be a little biased on this forum, but i would apprieciate any of your views.

Many thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf GT TDI or BMW 1 Series 120D ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, i had this exact dilema and ended up going for the GOLF 2.0 GT TDI 140bhp. I think i made the right choice. Its got the power, looks, and its practical. I think its a more spacious car compared to the 1 series, and my daughters pram fits easily in the boot. Another major selling point for me was that the 1 series comes with the special tyres, which cost about £200 each if you ever get them puncured. Hope this helps, Mo
    Last edited by mohammedpatel; 09-02-2009 at 01:04 AM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf GT TDI or BMW 1 Series 120D ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi traveller88!

I have driven both ands over the years have owned both German makes.

I have the 140 GT TDI Golf and love it. My previous golf’s were MK2's and boy has the handling come on.
    I thought they (Golds/VWs) were poor spec and bland but had much more than i expected, and that's coming from a fully spec'd 328i BMW.

As you prob found the Golf has quite a kick to the turbo, the 120D more progressive. My golf does very easily wheel spin even with TC on, so I miss the RWD! But the golf in't much behind the 'drivers' car.

I found the BM very claustrophobic, with poor visibility to the rear and side views.
    You will prob find the BM's vary in spec as per the original owners requests.

Had a few issues with the Golf all covered under warranty. (dash went wrong and a throttle sensor) BMW bend over backwards for you if you keep up the warranty with them but it costs, more than VW, which is high.

I took five up on holiday last year in the golf and it was a squeeze, with four it is fine unless the driver sits right back (like I do) the BM has less leg room in the rear i think.

I get 50-52 average MPG on the golf the BMW was about 42!

Finally, the Golf sounds like a tank when on idle and more so when cold, but fine when at speed; the BMW has better noise reduction.

good luck, Kev.
    '08 GOLF GT TDI 140

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf GT TDI or BMW 1 Series 120D ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the answers.

Having driven both of these cars again, i am definately going to go for the Golf. I found the BMW too small and claustrophobic, not much head room for the driver and very small area for rear seat passengers.

The boot space in the golf was a lot bigger and even loaded with a kiddies pram, there was still enough space for a few bags of shopping.

Just trying to decide if it is going to be the 2.0GT or the 1.9 SE Tdi now...

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf GT TDI or BMW 1 Series 120D ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2.0gt

0 0 0