Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello everyone

I have a golf gt tdi 130 bhp remapped to 177 bhp 03 plate... its done 126k...

Few months ago i coudnt put the gear into reverse, i switched off/on the car then it started working.

A week ago i was driving normally i stoppd on the side of the road to reverse and go the opposite direction, the car would not engage into reverse i switched off/on the car but reverse woudnt work... A person along the road pushed the car backward for me somehow the reverse then started working. This was sorted but then i faced another problem at the same time where the car would engage into gear one and and 2 but wouldnt move at all, it would just rave as if its neutral... Gear 3, 4 5 6 was working fine......... a mechanic came to my house. played about with linkages who got gear 1 2 3 4 5 6 into work but then the reverse woud not work.... i moved the linkages around i got reverse back into work but then 1 and 2 wouldnt work.

The end story is that, i showed it around to different mechanics and i got different stories from them so i do not know who to trust... anyways... i got my uncle and my self to get the gearbox out.... i took the clutch out...... the clutch was completely gone i changed the complete clutch kit.... and the slave cylnder coz it was loose.... i put the gearbox back on today.... the new clutch is working perfectly but still gear 1 and 2 is not working. the car woud not move in it....... still same problem.... i m not drivin the car again in 3 coz that will burn off the clutch again.... any help please..... .... Do you guys think that selector fork is broke..... if that is broke wouldnt that make any obvious noise in gearbox...

Thank You

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Golf mk4, gt tdi 130 03,, gears problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Khan.

It sounds like your gearbox initially suffered from the failiure if the dual mass flywheel. A common fault unfortunatly. I have a 110bhp AHF TDI and rememer when my flywheel failed and that caused difficulty selecting some gears. Before I had the clutch changed I had a fiddle with the shift linkage, and after my friend (Senior Audi Tech) changed the clutch he had to reset the linkage in order to get a smooth shift. The 5spds were a bit fiddly - the later 6spds are much easier. Or so I'm led to belive.

One other thing you might want to investigate is wear to the plastic bushes/sleeves or thrust plate on the shift turret on top of the gearbox. (Assuming it's the same as the 5spd) I had mine done at 184K parts were somwhere around £25.

Best of luck.

0 0 0