Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi All,

When I try to open/close my roof I get an error in the instrument panel "soft top cannot be used". I have tried the usual things - made sure the storage box is down, checked boot etc but nothing works.

I then went and manually opened/closed it again to no avail.

The one thing I noticed about 8 weeks ago was my radio (aftermarket one - Kenwood) which I had installed with a canbus adapter started switching on and off during use, after about 2 days it would not come on. Seemed to be the canbus adapter was the issue and I sent it back and got a new one. Unfortunately the new one does not work either (the old one was on the car for over 6 months with no problem). - I have since wired the radio the old fashioned way (to the ignition wire) and it works fine.

I am sure I have had the roof open since the radio issue occured so I am not sure they are related.

Apart from this I have been having problems with a high draw from the battery when the engine is off - this has flattened the battery on a few occasions. I have since got a new battery and checked my wiring to the radio but it seems fine. The garage could not find the source of the draw. I was away for the last week and the car started fine - not sure if the problem has gone away or what but the week before last it went flat in 2 days (new battery on wed, didn't use sat/sun, flat mon).

I have the battery on a charger at the moment to make sure it is not that. btw the garage also checked the alternator and it is working fine.

Windows, alarm, locks etc seem to work fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Walter.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2003 A4 Cabriolet "Soft top cannot be used" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id say get a scan for faults when the batt is low on power the roof wont come down you say you have put a igg switch for radion on the igg well id get that off and feed it from the back of the fuse box when you fitted the kenwook im guesing you used an aerial addapter ?
    where did you take the power from that feeds the aerial addapter ?
    other than that id get a vag scan for faults you may be lucky to find someone on here with vag near to you that could help
    what is your location ?

1 1 0

3. Re: 2003 A4 Cabriolet "Soft top cannot be used" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks bez101,

The aerial adapter is taken from the switched power supply. Not sure what you mean by "igg" but I have had it confirmed by an auto electrian who tried to find the source of the power drain (1.8amps approx) that the cable I am taking the switched input off is a valid switched supply (from the back of the light switches).

I have ordered a Vag adapter and software so may be back for more help on how to use it once it arrives. I am based in Dublin Ireland.

Thanks,

0 0 0

4. Re: 2003 A4 Cabriolet "Soft top cannot be used" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    once when mine did it i closed and reopened the storage box in the boot
    worth a try if you havent already

0 0 0

5. Re: 2003 A4 Cabriolet "Soft top cannot be used" 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bez101, You was right, message "Soft top cannot be used" on console in Audi A4 B7 Cabrio 2006, was result of low main battery in car.
    Solution:
    Start engine on and there we go :-)

0 0 0