1. A4 2.0 TDI Multitronic B7 (08 model)- very sluggish cold hill start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When my car is started from cold (say first thing in the morning) it starts fine and the idle is stable, but when I select drive and press the accelerator nothing happens for a second or two and then the revs slowly build and the car slowly moves forward. It is almost like there is a rev limiter or something else that is stopping the revs from building and the car moving away at speed.

This happens when I move off my drive and the car is facing uphill (about a 30 degree incline). I have not left the car overnight on the flat and tried from there though.

When the car is warm there is no problem and it moves away up the drive immediately the accelerator pedal is pressed.

In all other respects it drives fine, and there is no lag when depressing the accelerator pedal when pulling away onto roundabouts or out of side roads during normal driving.

I see not faults reported using VCDS, but of course this may be mechanical, or perhaps it is a design to protect some part of the car when cold. Any assistance or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Simon

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 2.0 TDI Multitronic B7 (08 model)- very sluggish cold hill start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    normal for multicronic and 2.0 tdi.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 2.0 TDI Multitronic B7 (08 model)- very sluggish cold hill start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks a8 tech. Would you be able to explain why it happens? Is it some form of safeguard?

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 2.0 TDI Multitronic B7 (08 model)- very sluggish cold hill start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Well the egr (exhaust gas recirculation)is kicking in to speed up thermal temp of the engine and reduce bad gases from the exhaust and the oil temp is to low but you can reset the basic settings in the gearbox and that can resolve the delay but its pretty much how they are (no torque converter) to truly explain whats going on i would have to explain in detail how the multitronic operates but this simplified version should be enough
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

1 0 0

5. Re: A4 2.0 TDI Multitronic B7 (08 model)- very sluggish cold hill start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    normal for multicronic and 2.0 tdi.

Ditto mines the same in the cold on a slight incline. Took it to Audi after the first few instances of what seemed to be gearbox slip.
    They found nothing wrong. Considered changing the oil (its a 40k mile requirement) but my cars only done 18K miles. Typically you cannot check the levels on this auto box. I first suspected a low level and the car on an incline when cold were the source of the problem.
    Audi wanted £300 to just change the oil!!!!!!!!!

Glad it's not just me

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 2.0 TDI Multitronic B7 (08 model)- very sluggish cold hill start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, there's some comfort in others suffering ones own misfortune I guess

I will have to level off my driveway for those quick getaways in the morning!

Simon

0 0 0