Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello there,

I have a 2003 Audi A6 Avant with standard headlights. A couple of months back I got an HID kit fitted to my H7 driving lights by an auto electrician.

All was well and night driving was much improved until last week when one of the lights failed and on having it checked today by the same electrician I discovered that the rubber housing of the HID bulb had melted and this had caused smoke damage to the lens and the whole headlight housing.

I am pretty well resigned to the fact that the whole headlight will need replacing but I wondered if anyone out there knew of a way to disassemble it so that it could be cleaned and repaired.

If not then does any one here know if would be in a position to ask for compensation from the company who sold me the kit?

I'm sending the broken bulb back today and they have said that they will replace it.

Any advice appreciated.

Stephen.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure that the lens is a sealed unit I'm afraid. I think you would have to break it open which then would probably give you problems getting it back together, which in turn could well give you problems with water getting in and just making things worse.

Try a scrappie mybe for a cheaper unit?

I'd also phone the company who sold you the conversion - their product should be a lot more reliable than it was. I'd be trying to get them to pay for a new headlamp at the same time...

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Niall,

Thanks for your reply.

I had a conversation with the HID kit supplier this afternoon and after I explained the situation with smoke damage there was a long silence on the phone....

Then they said that it was probably an instlallation issue and then they told me to return the parts.

A new headlight will be about £265 .

The words "Rock" and "A Hard Place" seem to be relevant here.

The installer swears that he did the job properly so I'll have to wait and see what happens when the burnt bits are assessed.

I was told by the HID supplier that the sort of problem that occurred to me was highly unusual.

I'll post again when I know the outcome.

Cheers,

Stephen.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully it was a faulty unit and they will fix everything up like new for you. Out of curiosity, who/where supplied the HID conversion?
    Passat Sport Estate 2001 1.9 TDI PD
    100k miles

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

It was Autobulbs Direct in Southampton who I've been happy with for several years.

Can highly reccommend the Diadem front indicator bulbs they sell and their LED bulb replacements that give the side and rear indicators/brake lights a sharper look.

So it may just be a rogue part and I was unlucky.

Have not sorted out my signature yet but I've been a dedicated Audi fan since 2003 when I got myself an A3 and had it converted to LPG.

Sold my A3 in 2004 as I neede a bigger car and now my 4 year old A6 1.8T is a dual fuel car running on LPG.

Doing the maths I'm managing to average the equivalent of around 45 mpg on local motoring and around 60mpg on motorway journies.

An Audi dealership told me not long ago that their best new A6 Avant diesel cannot match those figures

Happy Happy...... Joy Joy....

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbiv4 View Post
    I have a 2003 Audi A6 Avant with standard headlights. A couple of months back I got an HID kit fitted to my H7 driving lights by an auto electrician.
    Hmmm . . . a highly illegal vehicle modification . . .

All was well and night driving was much improved until last week when one of the lights failed and on having it checked today by the same electrician I discovered that the rubber housing of the HID bulb had melted and this had caused smoke damage to the lens and the whole headlight housing.
    Well, the bulb in your pic looks very poor quality, and if that was the standard of wiring from and "auto electrician", you might get a better quality job done in your local school playground!

I am pretty well resigned to the fact that the whole headlight will need replacing but I wondered if anyone out there knew of a way to disassemble it so that it could be cleaned and repaired.
    As other posters state, they are sealed items. You might, if you are extremely careful, be able to open up the unit, but you won't be able to get any replacement bits for it.

If not then does any one here know if would be in a position to ask for compensation from the company who sold me the kit?
    You're having a laugh. The company who sold you the HID kit are fully aware with the illegality of these. They might use a phrase with words that begin and end with the letter "F". If you take them to Court, you will lose, because you have mad an illegal modification!

I'm sending the broken bulb back today and they have said that they will replace it.
    That is probably the best you are likely to get from them.

Do yourself, and the rest of us a favour, chuck the HID kit in the bin where it belongs, and refit the H7s, maybe with some Philips Vision Plus 50%, then at least they will still be legal!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It was Autobulbs Direct in Southampton who I've been happy with for several years.
    But would you still be happy with them if they told you that by fitting the kit, you would invalidate your insurance, your car would fail an MoT, and you could be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act, for an offence under the Construction and Use Regs!

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello there,

Thanks for all the replies.

When I first read the Autobulbs Direct website and mores pecifically the F.A.Q. on HID Kits the blurb stated that thes kits were not illegal as long as the correct colour temperature was used.

I went back today and re read the F.A.Q. and it has been changed to state that the kits are illegal except for offroad use...

So, as far as I am concerned I was mislead and I'll be removing the HID kit and replacing the bulbs.

There is languange that comes to mind that I would like to use but it's not suitable for this forum or for the next phone conversation I have with Autobulbs Direct.

I will be asking them when they changed the F.A.Q..

Thanks for everyones advice here.

Stephen.
    Audi Fan since 2003 and proud owner of a 2003 (03) Audi A6 Avant 1.8T Dual Fuel LPG, onboard Sat Nav and DAB Digital Radio

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello there,

Thanks for all the replies.
    OK, no worries.

When I first read the Autobulbs Direct website and mores pecifically the F.A.Q. on HID Kits the blurb stated that thes kits were not illegal as long as the correct colour temperature was used.
    Don't suppose you had printed this off? The retro fit HID kits have never been legal, so if you do have any printed evidence, then pass it on to both Trading Standards, and the Advertising Standards Authority.

I went back today and re read the F.A.Q. and it has been changed to state that the kits are illegal except for offroad use...
    Covering their own tails . . . how long since the change on the web site?

So, as far as I am concerned I was mislead and I'll be removing the HID kit and replacing the bulbs.
    Good man

There is languange that comes to mind that I would like to use but it's not suitable for this forum or for the next phone conversation I have with Autobulbs Direct.
    Aye, I know how you feel! It really winds me up, all these dodgy traders selling illegal kit. At the end of the day, the car manufacturers invest many ££££££ into R&D, getting the products right. OK, so the £700 for the Xenon factory option does sound a little steep, but it is much more than a pair of bulbs!

I will be asking them when they changed the F.A.Q..
    I'd be interested in hearing their answer too . . .

Thanks for everyones advice here.
    Your welcome.

BTW, what did the auto electrician who fitted them say???

Oh, and apologies if my earlier post appeared a little "harsh"

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You can get OEM headlights from ebay at about £75 each if you look about for a while...

In regards to cleaning the unit,... I did it on my A4 B6... just got to bevery carful!

RicKT

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast