1. Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and what a wonderfully useful site.
    I have a 2006 VW Passat Estate Sport that I bought from a Scottish VW dealership. I look after it, wash it once per week and wax it twice per year. It is just over 3 years old and the warranty has run out on the 1st of January. Two weeks ago I noticed bubbling rust around the left number plate light. The dealer will not fix it as it is out of warranty and I am raging. No three year old car should have rust, never mind a VW. Anyway we are fighting this with VW.
    Can anyone tell me if they have had similar rust problems with VWs that are by no means old? The dealer reckons that the number plate light has been rubbing at the metal hence the rust.
    Thanks. RB.

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The corrosion warranty is alot longer than 3 years, but the corrosion has to come from inside. i.e beneath the paint. If it's caused by the number plate rubbing, it's not covered.

1 0 0

3. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    No way can they say that, kick up a huge fuss!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As martin says, the rust has to come from the inside, rather than the outside as they could argue that "you fitted the plate badly which is why there is rust there".

However, I'm susprised at the attitude of the dealer - it's not even a month out of warranty and I'd've thought they might have extended some good will your way.

However, there's always the possibility that this would never have been covered given the nature of the rust.

Have you got any photos of it at all so we can give our collective opinion?
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But if it's the number plate LIGHT that's causing the rust then presumably that's VW's problem?
    06 Passat 2.0 TDi 140 SE Estate, Reflex Silver, 125,000 miles

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    No it isn’t from inside, there is no way that could happen in three years, it is galvanic lift caused by poor paint adhesion and fretting around the lock plinth, the same happens on the Octavia 1 tailgate and I have known them do the job up to six years old.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Personally, however, I'd be inclined to go to a different dealer....
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi SE: Misano red, Kinetic 17s, Comfort package, Storage package, non smoking package, Nav, Upgrade to Audi sound system, Debadged
    Previous: VW Golf Mk6, 2009, 2.0 TDi GT, Candy White, Luxury pack, 18" Bilbaos, Tyre Pressure Monitor - VW Passat B6, 2005, 2.0 TDi SE, Metallic Navy Blue, Front/rear sensors, chrome grille, black leather

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi There is a 6 year warranty for galvanic lift and there is a 12 year warranty for rust,there is a 3 year warranty on paintwork.It is up to the dealer to ascertain the origin of the damaged paintwork,Here,you might find the one dealer a bit more understanding,than the other dealer.One thing which is important and that is not to try and repair the damage yourself,as this is grounds for a warranty claim refusal.Can you post a pic of the area and we can maybe determine the cause

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks folks, lots of really good replies. I will get some photos uploaded. Just to clear one point up though, it is the number plate LIGHT, not the plate that seems to have caused the bubbles and you can see rusty water inside the lens of the light along one edge. The photos will show. Other than that it is a great car. We have since heard from VW customer service that they want photos of the area of rust, also they are saying that it is down to the dealer to get this sorted out. The 12 year anti corrosion warranty is not that good, lots of loopholes. Apparently Audi's and BMW's is much better and I heard from my brother in law who used to be a salesman with BMW that even if warranty did not cover rust, they would have fixed it so as not to have newish BMW's going around covered in rust. Bad advertising and all that. Consumer Direct think that we have a case also, due to the age of the car and that we bought it second hand from VW just over a year ago. The car was originally sold by them new so its not as if they can say that they dont know the cars history as they have serviced it from new. The way I see it is that the plate light has caused the damage so they should be accountable for this. Also, the rust would have been there last month when the warranty was still valid, but they say "Ah, but you did not highlight it then!" It wasn't a cheap car either, with low mileage etc. You could accept things that fail due to wear and tear out with warranty but not rust.

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat 06 Estate with rust on tailgate 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Your claim has a 12 year warranty. Rust around the number plate light is an issue with this model,and the 3b.Usually.it starts around the area where the 2 screws are, and then spreads along the edges.I have lost count of the tailgates,we have replaced.To begin with we repaired the area,which was rusted and from 6 months up to a year the vehicle was back with the same problem,(and no comments on the job was not done properly)!We now make no attempt to repair it. If there is rust either around the rear windscreen or the number plate lights the tailgate is replaced.

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast