Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Loose cruise control with Alpine head unit fitted???

1. Question Loose cruise control with Alpine head unit fitted??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi (this is my first post),
    I wanted to replace the standard cassette head unit in my 04 reg VW Bora TDi.
    I carried out a straight forward replacement with my Alpine 9852-R. The connections were all compatible and everything went well.
    I thought there was a problem with the cruise control at first but realised that as soon as I switched the Alpine 'on' the cruise control cut out. It can only be re-activated when I switch the stereo off.
    I use the CC all the time, as I do a lot of motorway driving, so for now I've re-fitted the original stereo.
    I really want to get a decent sound in the car.
    Has anybody got any advice for this prob please?

0 0 0

2. Re: Loose cruise control with Alpine head unit fitted??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Only thought that occurs to me is where did you source the live and earh for the new head unit from? Maybe the radio is earthing into the cruise control wiring or is taking its power from there.

Try it in the car, fitted to the speakers but with a temporary fused feed on a trailing lead direct from the cigarette lighter socket. Make sure the case is well earthed to a part of the bodywork behind the dash. If cruise control works, that's your answer and you just need to find a permananet feed for the radio.
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

3. Re: Loose cruise control with Alpine head unit fitted??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the advice Teflon,

I just used the existing connectors when I fitted the unit and expected it all to work fine as they're standard ISO connectors.
    I'll do some voltage checks on the cars' wiring and make sure that the current is going to the right places.
    I'll also try what you say about tapping power from the cigarette lighter socket then see what happens.
    The Alpine doesn't seem to have a permanent live to it as it loses its memory once ignition is switched off. Might have to change some pins around.
    I'll look into that also.
    P.S Apologies for the spelling of 'Lose' in the title. I'm not that daft. Honest!
    Cheers.

0 0 0

4. Re: Loose cruise control with Alpine head unit fitted??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should have a perm live but wont have an ignition live - take a fused feed from the fusebox instead.

The VW connections may be ISO shaped but the connections arent common. You need to make sure nothing is connected to the K-line. This is the diagnostic line for the standard radio, if this is connected to the Alpine unit then you can expect many problems!

0 0 0

5. Re: Loose cruise control with Alpine head unit fitted??? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Isaac.
    I'll try to get my head around the wiring tomorrow and see whats what.
    If all else fails, I'll just go to the dealer I bought the head unit from and get them to install it. At least I'll know its been done properly and I won't end up breaking anything.

0 0 0