1. Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This question is probably inviting a raft of different opinions but hey ho let's ask anyway. I bought a 9-month old B6 Estate SE TDi 140 which is now coming up to 12 months old and has just hit 12000 miles. I'm less than impressed that I need to replace the front tyres at this mileage. Needless to say I'm looking to change away from the original Dunlops. The car is on standard 215/55R16 tyres and I'm just looking for a straight replacement. Various threads have mentioned problems in snow with Continentals so I'm wary about them as I'm off to the Alps soon but can anybody recommend any particular tyres which go well on this model. I am considering Michelin Primacy HPs but they are very pricey, and I don't know if they're worth the extra?

0 0 0

2. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just relaced the factory Bridgestones (@16,000 miles) on the front with Premacy HP's, your right they are expensive, they are allround better than the bridgestones, however mine is a DSG 2.0TDI SE and in the snow or slight ice for that matter they are or the car is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY............................VERY POOR!!! Its like an upside toitoise............

They seem a slight bit twitchy in the wet but in the dry cannot fault them.

I am certainly not nigel mansell but i do drive it quite hard sometimes.

Good luck with your decision

0 0 0

3. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After a lot of thought I'm going to stick with the Bridgestone ER300's. I have been very happy with them. I was going to use my Firestone spare and buy another but it is slightly worn, so will go for 2 new Turanza's.
    Did you read the post where I included the tyre test?
    VW Passat Estate 2.0 TDI DSG in Silver 2006

0 0 0

4. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had my 2.0tdi sport 140 serviced today. Done 12000 miles since I bought it 6 months ago, the car now has 75000. The first thing I did when I bought the car was replace the front tyres, like for like, with Pirelli P Zeros. I'm not impressed that they now have only 3mm of tread left. Not cheap to buy and I've not got the mileage I'd expect from them. I questioned the VW man about this as I'd expect more miles than that from a premium quality tyre. His reply was that he thought the low miles could be due to my type of driving. As mine are mostly clocked up at motorway/A road speeds, he seemed to think that the P zero had a relatively soft compound, and the heat generated at the speeds I do most of my diving at would lead to a short tyre life. I see his point but (maybe stupidly) I'd expected more miles as I'm mostly driving straight line or shallow turns. Pretty low stress driving for a tyre. He also recommended Michelins as they are a tougher compund and might suit my type of driving better. Anyone had Michelins doing loads of motorway miles? Anyone recommend a quality tyre for high mileage motorway cars?

0 0 0

5. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always use Mitchelin HP Premacy, i do alot of motorway miles, 20 - 25K a year, i average between 18 & 20K out of the fronts and about 50K out of the rears.

I do tend to make the traction control do its job quite a lot and can recommend the HP's for being hard wearing.

Although wet / snow / ice performance isn't fantastic.

0 0 0

6. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dOnions, Pirelli P Zeros are a very soft tyre, I've heard reports of people only getting 6k - 8k miles out of them arounf town!
    2006 B6 Passat 1.9TDi 105 | 35k | Deep Black Pearlescent | 18" OZ Superturismo Rims | Chrome Grill | 35% Tinted Rear Windows | Boot Lip Spoiler | Debadged

0 0 0

7. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check on-line for tyres made by 'Barum' I had them on my last Passat, the original Dunlop SP8's lasted 9k, the Barum's lasted 19k and cost £126 for the pair, fitted! Barum are made by Continental and cost a fraction of the amount!

I'm about to order a set of 18" wheels for my new Passat, the wheels come with Falken tyres, anyone know if they are any good?
    2008 Passat TDI SE DSG Saloon. Blue Graphite, New Style RS4 18" Alloys, Privacy Glass, Chrome Mirrors, Chrome Grill, Parrot CK3000 Evolution.
    Photos here: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/photopo...3988&protype=1

0 0 0

8. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damo140 View Post
    I'm about to order a set of 18" wheels for my new Passat, the wheels come with Falken tyres, anyone know if they are any good?
    Damo, I'm running 18" Falken FK452's at the minute and I can't fault them. The have lasted about 15k miles on the front with mostly town driving but need replaced really soon (2mm tread left). And when you need to replace them try http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...=m4b0s134p6214 Only £61.50 a tyre
    2006 B6 Passat 1.9TDi 105 | 35k | Deep Black Pearlescent | 18" OZ Superturismo Rims | Chrome Grill | 35% Tinted Rear Windows | Boot Lip Spoiler | Debadged

0 0 0

9. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza007 View Post
    After a lot of thought I'm going to stick with the Bridgestone ER300's. I have been very happy with them. I was going to use my Firestone spare and buy another but it is slightly worn, so will go for 2 new Turanza's.
    Did you read the post where I included the tyre test?
    Gazza, thanks for the post, funnily enough I was offered some ER300s for a lot less than the Michelins but I wasn't sure if they were any good, sounds like that may be my best bet. Would be interested in reading the tyre test so I'll hunt through the forum for it.
    Cheers,

0 0 0

10. Re: Tyre Choice 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VW Passat Estate 2.0 TDI DSG in Silver 2006

0 0 0