1. HELP ! Mk3 golf starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok folks i have a 97 P reg golf SE, it is the 1800 8v motor with the starter mounted on the front (rather than the back)

i have had masses of issues with the car since i got her a years back.

i recently (about a month ago) changed the starter motor and replaced it with a second hand item. I took the missus to work yesterday and all as fine however when i have come to start the car again in the afternoon i get nothing, the pre engage doe not even work.

basically i turn the key and the relays buzz like hell and a number of other strange sounds come from within the dash. when i turn the key off the whole clock assembly has reset itself as if the battery has been disconnected I have checked all fuses which are in order, and i have checked the battery with a meter 12.6v, i tried bump starting the car with no joy, can anyone help me ? is this the starter ? would it go without warning like this ?

I have also got a warning code IN 02 on the dash, which has always been there since i got the car, the sunroof recently only opens but not close ( you just get a click) and you have to wind it hut with the allen key in the roof lining. This is without a doubt the worst car i have ever owned for electrical issues. but i just cant bring myself to get shot of it as its fun to drive.

cheers in adviance for your help folks, i am pretty desperate and i got two days to get this sortid before going back to work.

Richie

0 0 0

2. Re: HELP ! Mk3 golf starting issues 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like the battery may be at fault. Will it jump start off another car? That would prove if it were the battery or some part of the starter system.

With regards to the "IN02" that's a service interval reminder. It's saying you should do a 20k service (or at least that's what it means on my 1.4 Golf). It's easy to reset, I've got the instructions in a Haynes manual IIRC.

0 0 0

Similar Threads

1. MK3 Golf TDI Glow Plug starting issues
    By 27motorhead in forum Golf MK3 - 1993 - 1999
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 12:02 AM
  2. Starting and running issues.
    By PJMK3GTI in forum Golf MK3 - 1993 - 1999
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 06:00 AM
  3. Please Help 1.9 TDi (AFN) starting issues
    By Aeikostx in forum Audi A4 - B5 Forum - 1995 - 2002