Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

i have a 2003 130hp pd passat, i wish to increase the perfromance of the vehicle, and was wondering what your suggestions for diesel tuning are, i had considered fitting a diesel tuning box but have heard mixed reports about them, form my knowledge and that of the internet the appear just to fool the ecu and thus (while creating more power) also create more smoke which i dont want as it will clearly have a negitive effect on the turbo life, i also have concerns about claims by the manufacturer of these products that the power range is only increased within a certain percentage certainly enough according to them for the likes of the clutch, gearbox and general drivetrain to cope with

so i guess what i asking is firstly have any of you guys fityted such a "chip" to your 130 passat? and from this have you had any problems with drive train/excessive smoke/turbo probs or electrics??

and secondly have you guys any other power increasing suggestions for this type of diesel engine?? and also any idea what the standard drivetrain is "good for" in realtion to the amount of power/torque they can handle without upgrading?

am new to the forum so sorry if i have posted this in the wrong place!

P.S. i wish to improve the handling of the car, its running on 205/55R15 at the min not sure the width of the rim prob around 6 inches or so, and as you can imagine these wheels have a tendency to understeer in a corner, i was wondering does anybody know what the widest rim a B5.5 can take? am i being ambitious at 8.5 inches?

thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get a proper chip or remap, your engine will last a lot longer than if you fit any cheap box and you'll get better mpg, see my signature, i couldnt reccomend it highly enough, but the guy who did my car doesnt advertise on here, but he has a website

http://www.ccctech.co.uk/chiptuning.php?make=Volkswagon

275 quid for mine, he came to the house, desoldered the chips,fitted new ones, we took it for a drive, he scanned for faults after the drive and then shook my hand and drove off in his own chipped leon. sound bloke. i dont know difference between remap and chip regarding how much power you'll see with a remap, but mine has 33hp over standard 110, im very happy
    Subaru broken, sold, Silver Seat Leon Cupra 180 '02' no cupra badge?

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks, i checked out his website there and filled out the contact form, how many miles how you done with it re-mapped? have you experienced any issues with excessive smoke or drivetrain wear??

Any other suggestions for performance increases?

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFSBURG-PD View Post
    thanks, i checked out his website there and filled out the contact form, how many miles how you done with it re-mapped? have you experienced any issues with excessive smoke or drivetrain wear??

Any other suggestions for performance increases?
    done about 5k so far, no issues whatsoever, only notice smoke at night in the lights of the car i have embarrassed, its not a lot of smoke like the plumes of black smoke with the cheap 'chips', dont notice any in the daytime.

regarding drivetrain wear, if you get it chipped then nail it from every set of lights like a saxo vtr owner then you'll probably change a clutch as often as they change gearboxes, if you drive like i do, you would take it easy 90% of the time and use the extra torque and power for overtaking or getting up to motorway speed quicker, you wont need to change down gears to overtake on 'a' roads at anything above 1600rpm and you'll get more mpg, everyones a winner

when simon rings you, tell him that stuart from ironbridge telford b5 passat 110 sent you

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have a look at jabbasport, they do ecu remaps.
    Although not cheap you get a before and after dyno run plus they will check the condition of your clutch before they will remap it to the spec you require.

If your clutch is good then 190 bhp will be easily attainable. One of the mechanics at my local tyre fitting garage has had his 05 plate bora done his is remapped 190 bhp and would recommend it any time. (His engine is the 130 bhp tdi)

When driven normally he still gets 50mpg plus but obviously when the tap is opened up this does decrease.
    If it ain't broke leave it alone!!!

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Van Aaken tuning box, Allard EGR replacement pipe, K&N air filter on mine it does not smoke.
    It has plenty of power and the economy is amazing for a 160bhp (estimated) estate car. Town driving is 38-45mpg and on the motorway I have seen the trip computer say 61.6mpg.

These mods have been on my car for around 13k miles.

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i notice they do 2 different sizes of replacement egr pipes, it says 90/100/110 for the smaller one, larger one for the rest. if i fitted one i'd probably get a filter too. nice to see what the difference would be anyway, its just clearing it with the mrs she moans when i tinker with it now, so making it go even faster would get her back up a bit.

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all

thanks for all your thoughts, i think the advantages out weight the negatives in relation to the chip/re-map, especially when coupled with induction modifications such as that egr replacent pipe kit, whcih i am going to fit to ny car!!, i went to their website and seen that they have a kit for all 150pd type engines, forgive me if this is a stupid question but is that compaitbale with the 130hp's intercooler? or i have i missed something?

also anybody got any suggestion for wheels rims? i want to increase the width of the new rims over stock, and want to know how much space i have to deal with, what is the widest rim a passat can take, the widest tyre i have seen on a passat like this is a 235, but unsure of how wide the rim was,?

on a slightly mad and very expensive note , i had considered doing a "proper job" as a project to see what can be achived, that is to say i have been thinking about upgrading the engine internals such as a higher lift cam, lightend and balanced ends, forged pistions etc. do you think this would be advantagous? like the performane increase usually accosiated with fitting a similiar part to a petrol engine? and from this is there another incarnation of this engine with more power that has a higher profile cam such as the pd150 possibly? or an engine that would have the same type of cam with a higher profile?

also i had been playing with the idea of boring out the block slightly say nearer the 2.0 liter mark and fitting larger pistons, however i am aware that these engines have quite large water jackets is it possible to bore the block out and if so by how much? in addtion to this obviously the upgrade of the neccessary drivetrain components aswel as forced induction/cooling such as larger turbo/intercooler and then perhaprs a custom re-map to reflect these performance changes,

i know this sounds slightly un-realistic and expensive, but i would appreciate your thoughts

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is mine with B6 'Monte Carlo' alloys 235 17" tyres.

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat B5.5 PDTDI Performace increase? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Remap all the way with these.

Check out the detail on the remap day in my signature.

If you can't make this and you'd like a remap I should be able to help.

Thanks, Mark

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast