1. Passat Rear Shock Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2003 Passat TDI 130 which has started making noises from rear (I Think) everytime i go over uneven ground). I have purchased new shocks and upper mounts from German and Swedish.
    Can anyone guide me through how to remove the Rear Shocks, especially what to do at the top of the car where it mounts internally in the car (I Think)
    Many thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat Rear Shock Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Hi Evoblade , jack up the car on one side ( not too high ) and remove the wheel then you can remove the bolts on the bottom part of the shock absorber .
    The top part is held underneath the wheel arch by two or three bolts , either thirteen or fifteen mm socket the bottom is definitely fifteen . You will need to remove the bump stops , top mounting and splashguard from the old shock to reuse unless you are replacing them as well , hope this helps , Calum .

0 0 0

3. Re: Passat Rear Shock Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi calum. many thanks for the advice. I presure that the complete shock will come away with the shock mount. If this is the case, is it best to mount the new shock on the new upper mount and then bolt the entire upper mount in place and then fasten the bottom in place?

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat Rear Shock Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    That's right , connect the top first then the bottom ,if the spring has spread the gap between the top and bottom mounts for the shock , place something solid under the axle and lower the jack . This will compress the spring and allow you to get the bottom bolt in , good luck . It's not hard to do once , you've done one side the other will be a piece of cake . Calum .

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat Rear Shock Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Good luck, it is really easy on these cars, great instructions above. It may be worth cleaning around where the top mount was with some waterproof spray and an old rag before refitting, mine was a bit silty.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0