1. Gearbox oil discussion. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    This is a duplication of a how-to post I made yesterday. The reason it is here is that the how-to's are moderated and all threads need approval. I really should have posted it in the open forum (like here) so a debate and discussion could happen on the gearbox oil.

As below, I used some Valvolene fully synth 75/90 gear oil which was way cheaper than the VW stuff. As below though, and having read a few other threads about this, am wondering what your experiences are on different types of oil. It seems that the general consenus is that the VW/Audi stuff is best.

Since yesterday, I've just come back from a 30 odd mile trek and my initial thoughts and observations are that the gearchange is ever so slightly better.

Please post up your thoughts and experiences.

Original post below (I did this as a how-to hoping to have a discussion on gear oil).......

Right then freaks.

I finally got round to doing this job.

Having done search online for information, I found some, including some on this site but it was all a bit sketchy so I thought I do a how-to.

Anyway,

It is a easy job, simply involving the removal of the drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox, letting it drain and then filling it back up again.

Sounds easy and it is.

However you will need VW special tool number 3357 !!!!!

How annoying, VW wouldn't sell me one (bless em) so having done a bit of research there are alternatives available, these are either;

Sealy XZN Spline Key M16 x 1/2" sq drive, part number SX107

or

Draper, part number 63476

I got a Draper one from my good old local motor factors for about £6.

You need this special tool and the M16 12 point spline bit has a security peg on it which prevents the use of a normal M16 bit.

Anyway, a few piccies, piccy below shows spline bit.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1536 and weights 678KB.

Piccy below shows end of spline bit

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1536 and weights 674KB.

Piccy below shows location of filler. Note this is with the coolant heaer tank moved out of the way. The filler IS there, right next to the driveshaft.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1536 and weights 667KB.

Piccy below, a closeup of the filler.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1536 and weights 664KB.

Piccy below shows the filler plug removed

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1536 and weights 698KB.

I didn't take a picture of the drain plug, but it is exactly the same and is located in the centre of the bottom of the gearbox and cannot really be missed once you have taken the undershields off.

Now the subject of some debate and I'd really appreciate some input from you lot on this. That subject is that of the OIL.

VW (bless em) wanted a touch over £15 per litre !!!!

At the same good old motorfactors, I chose Valvolene fully synth 75/90 gear which was about half the price. Only went for a quick test drive tonight after finishing (it was -3c ) but things seem to be a lot smoother.

I know Crasher recommends Redline oil and some have used Fuchs. Some also say that the VW oil has been the only stuff they'd use due to other stuff not performing as well.

I'll update this when I have a few more miles to test but I can't help but think that maybe I should have gone for the VW oil.

Any thoughts or views most welcome.

0 0 0

2. Re: Gearbox oil discussion. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Very informative post!

Early last year I changed the gear oil in my car ('55 Golf GT TDI 6 speed manual) as I was getting baulking in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears when the engine was cold. I used Millers 75-90 fully synthetic and it made the gear changes much worse! So, after a lot of research I decided to change it over again to Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75-80. I was told that this stuff is used by VW at the factory. The changes now have improved but I'm still getting pretty aggressive baulking whilst changing up to 2nd and 3rd gears!

I'm now at a point where my car is out of warranty so I cant afford to take it back (again) into VW. I don't personally have a clue why my gears are so bad (low mileage and lots of mechanical consideration from myself to the car). Are my synchros f***ed? They shouldn't be at 30k! What else can it be? I've been told it's a 'characteristic'. What more can one do.......?

Back on topic though - I would recommend the Fuchs gear oil to anyone considering the change.

0 0 0

3. Re: Gearbox oil discussion. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What do you make of this Big Col,there is an on going campaign to replace the gearoil on 5 speed boxes Quote On the 5 speed manual gearboxes the SYNTHETIC oil must be replaced by MINERAL oil. It makes you wonder????????

0 0 0

4. Re: Gearbox oil discussion. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenney View Post
    What do you make of this Big Col,there is an on going campaign to replace the gearoil on 5 speed boxes Quote On the 5 speed manual gearboxes the SYNTHETIC oil must be replaced by MINERAL oil. It makes you wonder????????
    I'm very interested in this Kenny.

Where did you find this out, do you know more ?

0 0 0

5. Re: Gearbox oil discussion. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Campaign 35A7 Golf Passat Touran Caddy T5 Polo. On 5 speed manual gearboxes of a limited production period the friction values and thus the locking effect of the baulk ring may be reduced because of the combination of baulk ring (1/2 gear) and synthetic gear oil . When changing quickly from 1st to 2nd gear this can lead to noises and premature wear.Not all vehicles are necessarily affected by this campaign!Before a repair it must be checked with the Service Online or FISH (VSI) system whether the vehicle of the listed chassis number range is affected by this campaign!

1 0 0

6. Re: Gearbox oil discussion. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All, I'm new on the site but picked up this thread as my company MkV Golf was recalled under 35A7 campaig. hen I asked the dealer what the actual recall was, all they would say was 'change of gearbox oil'. When pushed further for info they just said 'different grade of oil, mate'. Whatever they put in seems to have helped the gearchange though!

0 0 0

7. Re: Gearbox oil discussion. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some useful info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=132884&page=2

I don't know if that helps or hinders this discussion?
    2001 Passat estate Sport tdi 130hp
    2001 Passat Sport tdi 130hp
    1990 Audi coupe 20v x 2

0 0 0