Notices

User Tag List

Thread: MK3 TDI turbo dying... remap or hybrid turbo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. MK3 TDI turbo dying... remap or hybrid turbo? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, 1st time poster, I've read much of what's on offer here and it's a great place to soak up info, I've lost many hours and I'm still very green.

Anyway, I've got a 1997 Golf GL Tdi, AHU 90bhp (non PD I gather), and the turbo is well on the way out I think. It has that low whistle and it's pokier sometimes, but mainly feels like it's not boosting like it should.

So... I have to get a new or re-con turbo, and I'd also like to get some more poke. Would I be better off putting in a stock turbo and getting a remap than putting in a hybrid turbo? I guess the first would be lots cheaper and I don't need loads more poke, just a working turbo and a bit more poke probably

I was looking into a remap and keep hearing wonderful things about Jabba but it seems they don't work on the MK3 TDI. Can anyone recommend anywhere? I'm in the midlands but would travel.

My brother has offered to fit the turbo, he is the only person I know with a bit of turbo knowledge, he spends far too much time tinkering with his Celica GT 4. It's either that or get the turbo replaced and engine remapped at the same place but I guess it's megabucks to have a turbo fitted?

Any help would be greatfully received, although I'm not doing anything kinky...

Rob

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you do decide to get an uprated turbo and a remap, make sure the remap is last thing you have done so the computer can take into account the hardware changes you have made.

Nick

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would find out the fault first before modifying. It could be the turbo, or MAF or EGR system.

I not sure how many miles your cars done, but a new MAF can make the car feel like its been remapped

Rob

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leoninanegg View Post
    I was looking into a remap and keep hearing wonderful things about Jabba but it seems they don't work on the MK3 TDI. Can anyone recommend anywhere? I'm in the midlands but would travel.
    Rob
    Hi Mate,

Call Jayson @ ChippedUK www.chippeduk.com. He'll be able to sort you out. Think you'll find it's a chip on yours (could be wonrg though) Either way he's based in bromsgrove and is one of the best.

Cheers Mark

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys,

What is a MAF and EGR system? I guess I should maybe ask VW to take a look at it to see what they think, ask one of their techies to take it for a spin. Quote for the work, and then get some quotes from local companys. My bro reckons it has 10-20k left in the turbo but says it's well on the way out It's done 144k miles. Tbh I prob need to sort out the suspension too, it's a bit loose, would like to make it a bit more stiff but not look like a boy racer in the process.

Mark, thanks for the info, I've sent Jayson some mail, I note you are affiliated with chipped uk, hope I can trust your recommendation!

Rob

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leoninanegg View Post
    Mark, thanks for the info, I've sent Jayson some mail, I note you are affiliated with chipped uk, hope I can trust your recommendation!

Rob

Hi Rob,

You can mate, he is one of the best about. Been doing this stuff for years. Does the maps to the Alfa BTTC team, does the maps for the Jag sports range and remaps every Ferrari in the country that goes through the dealer network. He know's his stuff trust me.

Cheers Mark

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok Mark, well I look forward to hearing back from him, if Chipped UK is anything like Jabba or Allards (other highly recommended places) then I won't hold my breath for a reply

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,
    I tried to reply but i think your email bounced back to me.
    If you call me on either 01527-579345 or 07815-501867 i will be able to answer all your questions.

We are however moving to a new location (although only 1 mile from our current workshop) next week.

This is into a new state of the art workshop of much bigger size to provide more services to our clients.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I drive a mk3 tdi as well. with the type 1z enginejust another 90bhp. I swapped my injector nozzles for the 0.216 out of the 2.5 transporter along with a remap managed a rolling road verified 146bhp with the standard turbo. while still return 45mpg. My turbo is on its way out also I'm lookin to fit the turbo and inlet manifold (mk3tdi is too restrictive) from a 130bhp passat or a4, mk4 golf turbo will not fit.this should take me to about 180bhp, anthing above this will melt pistons.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello clinky, clinky!

Mmmmmm... 146 bhp would be sweet! Can I ask how much I'd have to pay for some 0.216 injectors? Would I have to mod anything else to cope with that sort of power increase? I'm aware that the lifespan of parts will probably decrease if I thrape the balls off it non stop but that's to be expected.

I'm trying to assess costs but this sounds like a good option, although my bro keeps going on about I'd be better off getting a hybrid turbo because I'd be getting more power for the same boost, thus safer for the engine?!

Chipped UK have given me a number for their turbo people so I'm gonna give em a bell and get some costs from them. Chipped UK have also offered to have a quick spin of my car and try and confirm if the turbo is indeed dying and not problems with the MAF or EGR.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast