Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not a very catchy title eh? Sorry about that.

Hello all, I'm nedflanders and have just joined up, I'll do my profile thingy later.

I know this has probably been asked before but I have to change a bulb and as you can guess the manual says 'please consult dealer'. To change a bulb!

It looks like I'm going to have to take off the whole unit in order to get access to the retaining clip. I can't even get visual access as it's impossible to see inside the unit. This is so inconvenient and such bad design. Fancy having to use a tool kit in order to simply change a bulb?

Anyway, enough of my moaning. If any of you can help with this problem and tell me how to go on I'd be very grateful. I'm off to Halfords to buy the bulbs this morning.

2 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    have you managed to sort this as yet??

RicKT

0 0 0

3. Question Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys
    Great forum!
    I was browsing the Net looking for the same answer - I had a look under the bonnet to change the bulb on the passengers side of my 2003 Polo, and was stumped. There is a cover over the back of the bulb assembly, and when removed I can clearly see the wires that are evidently attached to the bulb, but I didn't want to pull too hard.
    The dealer wants R450.00 for the bulb and to replace it, so if I can save that with the help of someone on the forum, I will be very stoked indeed.
    I've had a few cars in the past and never seen one that needs a Phd to get to the damn bulb.
    And as an after thought, is there maybe another bulb type I can use that will boost the light or quality of the light without frying the fuses / wires ?
    thanks,
    Rex

0 0 0

4. Talking Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If it's any consolation, the problem exists with the golf too. The sidelight replacement is a complete pig.
    Once you done one, you'll be able to paper your hallway through your letterbox!
    As far as boosting the light output, the best bet is to try high efficiency lamps with a greater lumens/watt ratio.
    I've considered Xenons along with uprated wattage lamps but to be honest you put your wiring loom at risk and if you're particularly unlucky the complete car.
    Gazza57

0 0 0

5. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Gazza

Thanks for the lighting suggestion. As it turns out, no need to go to the VW shop. Our friendly Midas shop gave me the bulb and one of their techies put it in pretty quickly. I have to admit though, he did have the smallest hands I have seen on a bloke taller than 5'2"!!! But he got it sorted and gave me the run down on the lighting - apparently there are issues with the stronger bulbs and they have stopped selling them for the same reasons you mentioned. No matter - I'm really quick happy with the lighting from my Polo.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Cheers,
    Rex

0 0 0

6. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the same problem with the headlamp bulb. I maanged to remove it (not sure how) but cannot get the replacement bulb back in the corrct position.
    All the comments so far that I've read say that thye've sorted the problem by using a dealer who didn't charge much, a Midas (who are they) shop etc but don't explain the actual technique of removing the bulb and replacing it.
    Even the Haynes manual "just says remove the bulb and replace it".
    It seems a crazy situation when a lot of countries motoring regulations insist that you carry spare bulbs in the car but you cannot replace them at the roadside!

0 0 0

7. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi its jimcornwall again.
    Just to let all of you out there that I found the solution!
    There is a retaining ring that holds the bulb in place. You have to twist one way to release the bulb and the opposite way to hold it in once you have removed and replaced it.
    I did take the car to a VW/Audi garage(non-VW franchise) and even he didn't mention this ring. He was trying to twist the actual bulb but without success!
    I was doing this on the right hand side headlamp and it was tight there to gets the hand in! It looks even more impossible on the other side in front of the battery!

0 0 0

8. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys.

I've got the same vehicle as jim and have figured out the way to change the main headlight bulbs myself and successfully got some new xenons in.

However can anyone offer some advice on how to do the high beam (H1) and sidelight bulbs in the other compartment? I cant feel any retaining rings or clips for them and I'm worried to just tug them in case I cant get them back in again!

Any advice?

0 0 0

9. Re: 2003 VW Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Volition, or Jim

Could you run me thru the headlight bulbs? Does the clip come out, or does it twist into an open position (then insert/remove) before closing? or is it a case of turning the bulb to get it out? After a small bit of fiddling I managed to get the old bulb out, set the new bulb up, checked it was working but cannot get it to "clip" into place securely as it was. I can wedge it, but it s not in straight, and do not want it coming loose and breaking when driving...

Ended up trying to take a picture with my phone, but still cannot see clearly (confusing me more as it looks like the (plastic??) clip is attached with screws)

Cheers;

mullins

ok, got it!! Here's how. after readin my own post I had a look again at the picture I took. The clip is indeed a black plastic clip, and doesn't come out. You click into an open position, insert bulb, then turn clip back into closed position to hold the bulb in place.
    See picture
    How to change the headlight bulb in a VW Polo
    Attached Images
    Last edited by mullins; 16-10-2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: adding picture

4 0 0

10. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should be able to see the retaining ring in your photo. Its the black/grey part that is held in place by the two torq screws. There are slots that the screws are in and the ring moves clokwise/anticlockwise.There are a couple of lugs that are visible at the end of the slots which one uses to turn the ring. Not sure which way it has go to release.
    VolitionUK. According to the Haynes manual the main beam bulb is retained by clips and NOT a ring
    Hope this helps...Jim

0 1 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast