Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Back bulbs, and more on headlights... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Nick,

On the subject of proper practice, yes the bumper is often removed, the indy I use and his mate have hands like coal shovels and he frequently just unbolts the bumper and they're done in a jiffy, but yes you're right a pretty rubbish solution if you wanted to change a lamp by the roadside, the overwhelming message there then is don't!!!!!

Gazza57

0 0 0

2. Re: Back bulbs, and more on headlights... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I went into Halfords today and they have instructions NOT to replace headlight bulbs from Polo's between 2002 and 2004 due to "overheating problems" and was directed to a main dealer - which I why I'm here. Looks straightforward to me, anyone know what the problem is ?

0 0 0

3. Re: Back bulbs, and more on headlights... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I can get my hand in, but the front indicator is a total nightmare, I put the long plastic connector in upside down ....................... schoolboy error ................ it jammed and snapped off, bumper off headlight out .................... scrapyard .................... not good day at office

Overheating could be heat of engine in health and safety , could be anything really

its so much easier on the fabia !!
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

4. Re: Back bulbs, and more on headlights... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I replaced the headlamp bulb (dipped for the avoidance of doubt) I can see why Halfords are steering clear as it is possible to get it in but not located right so the bulb would be in contact with the plastic of the reflector but its not that difficult. These are the steps I took:

Remove push on rear cover
    Pull the connector/wires off the bulb - jiggle it!
    Turn the retaining black plastic ring (BPR) I think anticlockwise - no need to turn trox screws in my case, the BPR does not turn much say 5-10mm.
    Remove old bulb.
    Put new bulb in make sure before you insert bulb the BPR must be anti clockwise and the tab on the bulb is located in its slot at the top (last bit is important) otherwise bulb will be not fully home in housing.
    Lock bulb in by turning BPR clockwise.
    Replace connector/wires
    Replace rear black cover.

I found it useful to have a torch and a mirror (with some extra hands to hold it) to look at how the BPR works - it moves the electrical contacts in and out as you turn it, these need to be in the retracted position to get the bulb into the housing easily. The mirror is also useful to see if the position of the metal tab of the bulb is correct at the top of the housing. I found it useful to practice positioning and locking with the old bulb it saves damaging a new bulb if your not sure - the mirror and torch are almost essential to see the tab position. Bulb was a 477 H7

0 0 0

5. Re: Back bulbs, and more on headlights... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok I made a massive mistake in not finding this thread earlier and did something very silly.

I unscrewed 2 of the screws which has removed the rings on the passenger side and now I don't have a clue how they are supposed to fit back back in let alone which way up.

Try as I might I have no been able to find any photos or videos of how it goes back together.

Does anyone have any photos that would be able to help me?

Thanks in advance.

https://ibb.co/crAT6m

0 0 0

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234