Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jim, thanks.

Yeah, I edited my own post with the PS adding that I'd gotten it to fit. Was posting the picture so that ppl could what the clip looks, and how the mechanism works...

mullins

0 0 0

2. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I can just about catch a glimpse of the clips holding the H1 bulb in. But can anyone suggest how to even begin to go about removing that so I can replace the bulb? And the sidelight one.

I don't want to break anything by going the complete wrong way about it you see.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup, with this info I just changed my bulbs in seconds (after spending all afternoon at the weekend getting no-where). The ring turns anti-clockwise to release the bulb (i.e. as if unscrewing). Hold the new bulb in place with forefinger and use your thumb to turn the ring back clockwise to secure it. Then tighten the ring fully using forefinger on the lug on one side and thumb on the other side. It should turn about 5-10mm

It's a small space and I have fairly big hands but managed to do both of mine. To get to the off-side I slid the canister thing out of the holder to allow access but the batttery side was no problem.

Mark

0 0 0

4. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well the headlights were easy enough once you know how.

But yeah, any ideas about the sidelight/high beam bulbs in the second compartment?

There doesnt appear to be any form of locking ring like there was in the main headlight compartment. And the sidelight bulb appears impossible to reach with fingers!

0 0 0

5. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The main beam bulb is actually quite easy to get out. Remove the wire loom from the back of the bulb. At the top of the bulb is a wire clip. I tried this on the driver side lamp standing directly in front of the car so this clip has to be pushed to the left, It will then drop down and the bulb can then be removed.

The problem I am having is with the side lamp bulbs. The Haynes manual is useless as it gives you a nice diagram of the clearly visable and easily removed rubber lamp cover and then decides that the part of the lamp, i.e the bulb holder shouldn't have any diagrams showing how it is removed and is accompanied by the description 'withdraw bulb holder'. I can only assume that this is done using the power of your mind!

Seriously though, I can just about get my fingers on the bulb holder and around the edges of the bulb holder there seems to be two clips that can be pushed in. I have tried pushing both these in and pulling the bulb holder out but it just isn't happening.

Anyone got any hints tips or even a picture of the holder?

0 0 0

6. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you think the right side is difficult, try getting to the bulb on the left side behind the battery! I found the best way to do it... buy the bulbs from Halfords and pay the £1.99 fitting fee. They knew how to do it but it still took them nearly an hour to get the "clips" out. It was done by feel - there is no way of seeing down between the bettery and the lamp.

0 0 0

7. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lol funny you should say that, I used to work for my local Halfords so I still know a couple of guys from the store. Popped in and had a word with one of them, he had them out and both replaced within a matter of minutes.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ignore those bandits known as main dealers. Buy bulb from Halfords and ask them to fit it. I just did! Time? Hand under bonnet 2 minutes. Cost? £25.00

(VW Dealer) Time? "Need to take off the grill and bumper mate. 1 hr" Cost £130.00.

Need I say more?

0 0 0

9. Smile Re: 2003 Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I followed the suggestions, looked at the photo and it worked! Thanks very much for the tip - saved me a lot of hassle.

0 0 0

10. Re: 2003 VW Polo, changing headlight bulb. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was able to successfully remove and replace the larger H7 bulb in my 2004 Polo 9N. How do you remove the smaller H1 bulb? Its held in place by a springlike thingy as far as I can see........anyone done this before?

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast