Hi,

I am the owner of a Passat 1.9 TDI 90 Hp from 1999 Limousine, which I am seriously considering replacing. I have generally been very satisfied with the car (~18km/l) except the high cost of service/parts and the lack of Hp.

The car will be used 15 000 - 20 000 km/year mainly for driving back and forth to work and for traveling with our newborn incl. her accessories.
I am looking for a car for safe, fuel efficient stationcar and have narrowed it down to the following alternatives:
VW Passat
Scoda Octavia
Audi A4
BMW 320D/520D

All are around 1500 kg, so my thoughts go towards a TDI with appx. 140 hp.
As you may know purchase of cars in Denmark is outrageously expensive due to the high taxation of cars (180%+25% VAT). So buying the right car at the right time is of importance.

Here are my thoughts to which I would appreciate your comments:
  • I note that the Passat is now only at the B6 series and wonder when a new model is expected out?
  • A cheeper choice than the Passat would be the Octavia, but as I understand it this is based on an older Passat platform. Is this correct, and if so, which?
    I understand a facelift is planned for spring 2009.
  • A more expensive option is the A4, which I find very attractive, but what do you actually get for the extra cost?
  • I note the A4 is a B8 series, so this should be the reference model for the next couple of years.
    Any serious early model sicknesses that merits a wait of some months for rectification?
  • And then of course there is a purchase or lease option for the BMW, where attractive deals are available for 24/36 months lease...
    To me the 320 series seems to be quite a lot smaller in the cabin than the Passat, whereas the 520 series is great, but rather expensive.
    Im not aware of the state of these models (in relation to new release/facelift, so any info in this regard is of interest)
    Any comments on these?
Feel free to throw in additional thoughts to be considered.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen