Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all!

I've just found this forum and am very impressed so far

I got my 1996 polo cl1.4 openair 2 years ago as my first car and now plan to do some mods to it

As it stands: (I'll update pics soon)

- Lexus Tail Lights
    - Angel Eye Headlights
    - 15" MR2 5-spoke alloys (matt black)

- Kenwood Head Unit
    - Kenwood 6x9's
    - Sony 15" 1200w sub and amp.

I have not fitted the angel eye headlights as yet as i tried sunday but was'nt able to ... if anyone could point me in the right direction to a "How to" guide I'd be very grateful!

Unfortunately the car was owned as a second car before me so it has lots of annoying little dents, scratches that I plan to sort! Also plan on getting a set of coil overs soon to lower it and maybe get a DTM style backbox.
    1996 Polo 1.4CL Openair
    ----------V-DUB----------

0 0 0

2. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Nice work.

Is it your 1st car?

If so, there is nothing like your 1st car but....

As an 'older' person the advise is to leave it and save for something better once your insurnance goes down. Impossible I know as you are chomping at the bit but just think, the £500+ you are about to throw at it would go a long way to say..... a 1.8t MK4 Golf !
    0 0 0

3. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate.

Yep it is my first car. Hav'nt bothered touching it for 2 years because of insurance (teenage male ) but now with 2 years no claims it has reduced dramatically!

I actually chose the polo over a golf (many people probably think *** lol). I think they look mint with subtle mods, especially the euro look!

Do you know what engines fit in my car? Won't be done just yet again because of insurance but ultimately I'd like to make it a bit of a surprise to other cars performance wise I'd love to put a 1.8t in it but hav'nt started to look into it yet.

Will
    1996 Polo 1.4CL Openair

0 0 0

4. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    If your after the Euro look you've got to loose those lexus rears

Everyone loves their 1st car but the advice still stands, save for something better, like, if you must have a Polo........ A GTI is quick and didn't they sell them with the 130hp PD TDI in as well, that is the one to go for as you could easily get 180hp for a simple £250 remap. That would be insanely fast in a Polo.
    0 0 0

5. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
    If your after the Euro look you've got to loose those lexus rears
    Col that's invaluable advice!!!

20vt fits nicely under a polo bonnet.
    0 0 0

6. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha 3 posts in and already made myself look stupid lol!

The 20vt engine you mentioned .... is that the 1.8 turbo? I know size isn't everything (in car context OBVIOUSLY lol) as my mate has a Toyota Starlet and they go like a rocket and only a 1.3 turbo!

He suggested maybe even a polo gti 1.6 engine then turbo charge it? (I'm all for having a turbo lol)
    1996 Polo 1.4CL Openair

0 0 0

7. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by po1o_madman View Post
    haha 3 posts in and already made myself look stupid lol!
    Nope, stupid, not at all.

More like young and foolish

Any conversion always costs more than simply upgrading the car unless you can do almost all the spanner time. Even then it is hard to break even.
    0 0 0

8. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep I know ...sucks does'nt it! Been there with motocross bikes, spent £££ then sold them for peanuts.

The car has not cost me much at all so far, because my parents bought me the car and paid insurance for the first 2 years (saving me about £4k). So I would'nt mind spending a few grand knowing that I'll not get it back.

The cars only done 52k miles and had a gearbox rebuild 10k miles ago (apparently a batch of polos around the time mine was made had faulty gearboxes that failed anywhere after 35k miles ... i did'nt know this when the car was bought!). So I'd get a few hundred quid just by selling them.

Oh one thing i will ask .... is my car a 6N? ... Nightmare trying to buy parts because I don't know what this refers to and whether or not mine is it or not!
    1996 Polo 1.4CL Openair

0 0 0

9. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The Polo GTI is powered by a 1.6 16v engine, (125 bhp). All that power in such a small car means that the little Polo can go from 0-60 in 8.7 seconds!! with a re-map to 180bhp for £250 its alot cheaper and probaly more reliable than a engine change.
    0 0 0

10. Re: New to the forum! Few questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    The 1.6 won't map that high.

A 1.9 PD TDI will map from 130hp up to 180 to 185 (depending on who maps it) though with no bother. 8.9 to 60 standard but with 310nm and about 400nm mapped of torque, that, in real world driving means it will frighten lots of supposed sports cars. A real sleeper in my mind.

You will get similar gains on a 150hp 1.8t as well but real world I don't think it would be as effective as the TDI
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast