1. No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ran out of screen wash today and I sure needed it!! I have the full DIS and have always had low screen wash warnings.. all of a sudden none! Does anyone know what to look for? I've tried to look for the screen wash reservoir but it seems burried somewhere.

Any help appreciated.
    A4 1.9TDI 160bhp Sport - 2001 (51)
    Re-map by more-bhp.
    TT 3.2 V6 DSG quattro 270BHP - 2003 (53)

0 0 0

2. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Run a final control test with vag com to bring the warning display on the dash then check you have a wire coming out of pin 1 (blue) connector at the dash.If you do then earth the pin1 and the dash will not show the washer bottle empty symbol which tells you the dash is fine or disconnect pin 1 and this will trigger the symbol as its open circuit so then remove the nsf inner wing cover to gain access to the washer bottle and disconnect the sensor and bridge the two pins which will trigger the warning symbol and prove the wiring is ok and again the dash so the sensor is defective.
    Last edited by a8 tech; 11-12-2008 at 08:32 PM.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

3. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks a8tech. Just thought, I've recently fixed a rather badly behaving temp gauge. I had the cluster out and soldered the joints. That's fixed and from what I could see both green and blue connectors in the back of the cluster slotted home fine. Perhaps there is a dodgy connection? I can't see how it could have caused the problem though. Unless pin1 is a little loose. I'll check it anyway. cheers.
    Re-map by more-bhp.

0 0 0

4. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't see your full test in my email... What do you mean by this "Run a final control test with vag com to bring the warning display on the dash". I've checked vagcom today and no faults... How do I bring the warning on the dash?

I'm sure the pins are ok in the dash... Do sensors fail often on screen wash reservoirs?
    Re-map by more-bhp.

0 0 0

5. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco34 View Post
    I didn't see your full test in my email... What do you mean by this "Run a final control test with vag com to bring the warning display on the dash". I've checked vagcom today and no faults... How do I bring the warning on the dash?

I'm sure the pins are ok in the dash... Do sensors fail often on screen wash reservoirs?
    What A8 meant was to go into 17-Instruments and then select the "Output Tests" option.

This will cycle through all the cluster functions including the washer fluid light warning.

0 0 0

6. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah yes right. I didn't do that but I did the manually auto-check by pressing the check button on the cluster and it cycled through and quite happily checked the screen wash as ok.

Does that point to a sensor fault?
    Re-map by more-bhp.

0 0 0

7. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'd say so.

It is probably hidden under the wheel arch liner and a right pig to get to.

But you will need to obviously get to it to test.

Not sure if it would be a float switch (in which case a bit of wiggle'lidge and fettling might sort it) or a duel pronged resistance sensor like in the coolant bottle in which case I dunno.

0 0 0

8. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll investigate, thanks for your help!

Re-map by more-bhp.

0 0 0

9. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It isn't hard to get to. N/S front wheel off, remove wheel arch lining and a couple of bolts.

There is very little to go wrong with the sensor; isn't a float type sensor it is just two bare metal prongs. When Pin 1 is shorted to earth then the warning remains off, when it isn't you get the beep... I retrofitted the washer bottle sensor and it is v. easy to do.

So it looks as if Pin 1 is shorting to earth somewhere, hence no warning.

From Pin 1 it goes to Pin 10 (or 9?) in the black plug in the passenger footwell. Remove the sill trim and the A shaped piece forward of the door to find it.

HTH,

fM
    2007 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140PS | S-Line | BOSE | Volterra Leather

Retrofitted | RNS-E | SDS | Bluetooth | Cruise Control | Parking Sensors | Arm Rest | DIS

1 0 0

10. Re: No DIS warning for low screen wash 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Marco,

EDIT: There is a short to earth somewhere in your wiring. The washer bottle sensor works by shorting Pin 1 to earth when the water is covering the prongs to make the circuit. Normally when the water drops below the prongs, the circuit is broken and the alarm goes off, however with your car with the washer bottle empty, Pin 1 is still shorting to earth, hence no warning. Therefore check your soldering carefully. I would also check for bent pins in the back of the instrument cluster.

I would agree that it looks likely, due to you carrying work out behind the instrument cluster that the fault will be round here somewhere rather than the sensor itself, especially as there are no moving parts to go wrong with the sensor!

I hope this helps!

fM
    2007 Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140PS | S-Line | BOSE | Volterra Leather

Retrofitted | RNS-E | SDS | Bluetooth | Cruise Control | Parking Sensors | Arm Rest | DIS

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast