1. Fault found : 01203 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, I have a 1998 Audi A4 Avant 2.8 V6 Quattro with the ACK engine. Since purchasing it I have had an intermittent problem with the ABS warning bulb coming on usually when I've either hit around 80mph or been on quite a long run in it. I wasn't getting the warning beeps until recently and now I get them and the warning light every time I start the engine.

I recently purchased a diagnostic cable and used Vag-Com on it, returning this error -

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 614 111 A
    Component and/or Version: ABS/EDS 5.3 QUATTRO D00
    Software Coding: 0273004284
    Work Shop Code: BB 24334
    1 Fault Found:
    01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster
    03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent

Does anyone have any idea what this error means? I have run it through Vagalizer and it says the following -

01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster

01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster: Open or Short to Ground

Possible Symptoms

• ABS Malfunctions

Possible Causes

• Wiring between ABS and Instrument Cluster defective
    • Instrument Cluster defective (rare)

Possible Solutions

• Check Wiring between ABS and Instrument Cluster for Short to Ground/Open Circuit
    • Check Instrument Cluster

01203 - Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster: No Signal

Possible Symptoms

• ABS Malfunctions

Possible Causes

• Wiring between ABS and Instrument Cluster defective
    • ABS incorrectly coded
    • Instrument Cluster defective (rare)

Possible Solutions

• Check Wiring between ABS and Instrument Cluster for Short to Plus
    • Check ABS Coding
    • Check Instrument Cluster

But I cannot believe it would be the wiring between the ABS system and the instrument cluseter so if anyone has any ideas on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Driving a 98 Audi A4 Avant 2.8 Quattro V6 & loving it

0 0 0

2. Re: Fault found : 01203 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanlaw1979 View Post
    But I cannot believe it would be the wiring between the ABS system and the instrument cluseter so if anyone has any ideas on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    What makes you believe it is not a connection problem? Have you inspected the connectors and connections on the ABS module? Have you inspected the connectors/connections on the instrument cluster? Have you looked for a chafed wire?

Intermittent problems are most often traced to poor connections. You do realize that VW/Audi is notorious for bad connections?

Have you checked the coding of the ABS module as the Ross-Tech Wiki stated in the repair suggestions listed by VAGaLizer?

0 0 0

3. Re: Fault found : 01203 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just thought it might have been down to a dirty sensor as a lot of people have suggested due to it starting with the ABS light only coming on after I reached about 80mph or so and getting no warning beeps and only recently the warning beeps and abs light coming on as soon as I start the engine. Do you have any idea where I should be looking for the ABS module and the wiring to check the fault?
    Driving a 98 Audi A4 Avant 2.8 Quattro V6 & loving it

0 0 0

4. Smile Re: Fault found : 01203 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've had the same problem with my vehicle and I have the identical module.
    The problem for me (which is apparently a very common manufacturing fault) was fixed by applying conductive silver epoxy to fix two loose silver wires within the module.
    It's not easy to crack open and when inside be vvvveeerry careful not to bump any of the gold wirebonds.
    Here's the guide for fixing it:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1757414

Good luck.

0 0 0