Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks

1. Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks 
    MickeyBravo Guest
    Sorry its a polo mk 4 (P):

Hi peeps,thanks for the problem last time i posted about my stereo issues..

Thing is,ive just replaced the front breaks (discs+pads) as when i got the car,pedal was spungy and didnt stop well (instantly fort breaks were s**t)..
    I did it with a mate and the pedal is still spongy.We bled the passenger side and only bit of air came out,came to do driver side and cud not get nipple screw off and didnt wana force it incase it broke/snapped.We think the back may need doing aswell,is this right...Cud this be the problem??

Now down to the whining noise,when i got it, it was also whining loud. Now its sounds too loud to be wheel bearing (sounds like discs scraping).we checked the front wheels but doesnt seem to be any play in the wheels..Oh and think its comin from the back..Cud the rear cylinder shoes be on there way out do you think?

Help on both would be greatful as i dont fancy forkin out for a wheel bearing kit then another 50 notes to replace it when it might not be problem..

Mike

0 0 0

2. Re: Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly, if you have just replaced the discs and pads then you have to remember that it takes a little time for the brakes to 'bed in'. Take it easy for the first 100 miles or so.

Secondly, I would bleed all 4 brakes - air in any part of the hydraulic system will give you spongy brakes.

Good luck

0 0 0

3. Re: Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks 
    MickeyBravo Guest
    Hi and thanks,I thought maybe all 4 breaks may need bleeding as like you sed having air in the system will be spongy...

What do you think cud be causing the whining noise? like i say,seems too loud to be wheel bearing,sounds more like a scrapin noise if anythin :s

Mike

0 0 0

4. Re: Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    whilst driving, gently pull the handbrake up. if the noise gets louder, its probably your shoes worn out. as for the seized nipple, soak it in penetrating oil for a few days and then see if it will come undone. if it does snap, only the top will snap off, and the rest might come out using an extractor. if not a new caliper is the best option.

0 0 0

5. Re: Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks 
    MickeyBravo Guest
    Hi mate,thanks for that.Didnt think about pllin the handbreak up..gona try when i next go out.
    As for the seized nipple,my mate who helped with the breaks suggested gettin a new caliper.Also thinkin its wheel bearing,if its the wheel bearing at fault.Think i may just buy a new drum for the sake of it,wud be cheaper option i think..
    ps,does the rear bearings have 2 be pressed in? or is that just the front that requires it?

0 0 0

6. Re: Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are called BRAKES!!! not breaks lol, anyway did you open the bleed nipples before you pushed the caliper pistons back? also as said above it will take 100-300 miles for them to bed in. I wouldn't mess about with the anchors if you don't 100% know what you are doing, no offence mate .

0 0 0

7. Re: Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks 
    MickeyBravo Guest
    wouldn't mess about with the anchors if you don't 100% know what you are doing, no offence mate .
    na its fine mate lol i get a mate to help me out on things im not sure on
    tbh i dont think we did,we did open the brake resavoir tho..

0 0 0

8. Re: Whining Noise + Spongy Breaks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you have a decent spanner,try bleeding it at the pipe rather than the nipple
    first time i was up a ladder i was down a well
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0