1. Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had my cambelt and waterpump replaced a few weeks back, it hasn't been used much in the past few weeks, but I've done a few hundred miles in it over the weekend and I've noticed this clicking/ticking noise when driving. When stationary the noise isn't there, but when driving it returns. If i put both front windows down, radio off, its definately a noticeable noise. She drives spot on as usual, you wouldn't know anything was a miss from inside the car with the windows up. Its the sort of noise like something is tapping/rubbing/clipping something else as it passes by if you can imagine that...? I planned to do an oil change this weekend, but its so damn miserably and cold, current oil has done 6k.

any ideas?

0 0 0

2. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah it could be the oil, but it could also be that the new cambelt is bad. i say first you check he oil, then the cambelt for any damage

0 0 0

3. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It can’t be the cam belt if the noise isn’t there with the engine running and the car not moving. Check all the tyres (do not rub your hands across the tread of the tyres) to make sure there are no foreign objects stuck in the tread.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've changed the oil and filter, checked all trim that could be loose/fowling on something else and still the noise is there! I would assume that if the timing was out it would be obvious or atleast noticeable? The car idles as it always has done, no loss of power or anything....any other ideas...?

If I'm driving along in second gear, foot on the gas, the clicking/ticking noise is there, if I then clutch down and coast (not braking to slow the car down) the noise goes straight away until I bring the clutch back up again, so it surely can't be debris in the tyres, auxillary belts, drive shafts, as these are all turning even when coasting.

0 0 0

5. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It needs to go up on a ramp and be inspected from below, it could be anything.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice pic crasher!
    he/she gives the impression they are watching someone appearing down the chimney!!!
    or someone trying to get up one!!!
    love it,
    stewy.
    first time i was up a ladder i was down a well
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

7. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is just too cute!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you have given us some brilliant pics,you could make your own calander,although probably
    too late for 2009. perhaps an "end of year" avatar review may be a possibility?
    any moderators reading?
    first time i was up a ladder i was down a well
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

9. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I am trying to think of my next one.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Clickin/Ticking noise after Cambelt change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, took the car back to the garage today and went out for a run in the car with a mecanic. He gave it some welly....more than I would have liked and he suggested that it is the tappets. I initially though this too but was confused as to why the noise spontaneously developed after the cambelt kit and waterpump was replaced at the garage as there was no hint of this noise before this work had been done. The chap said its nothing to worry about in lieu of the age and milegae (184k, 1997 TDI 110 AFN) but the nosie still annoys me as it most definately wasn't there before it went into the garage. He asked me what oil I use and when the oil gets changes as this may have affected the tappets. I do my own oil changes every 6k and use decent semi-synthetic oil, currently, fucsh 10-40w. I asked if it would be worth doing anything with the tappets and he said no, its not worth it and won't be a problem. Could it just be that the new cambelt kit is putting the tappets and any other components under more stress as they are new parts?

I'm a bit ignorant as to what the tappets actually do, could somebody explain..? Has anyone done any work/replaced/serviced their tappets or hydraulic lifters to solve such a problem?

Just to confirm, the noise is there when ever the engine is under load, at idle, it is not audible unless the engine is revved.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast