Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems

1. Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    npatrick53 Guest
    Hi all
    I have the Bose Symphony system in an 2001 A3. The problem is the quality of the sound through both front speakers which is poor - very crackly. Funny thing is, on infrequent occasions the crackling dissapears and the sound is very good. I've swapped the head unit for an identical model and the problem persists with both the radio and cd players, so I'm confident the head unit is ok. Is there a remote amp somewhere that could be sending poor signals to the speakers.
    I'm have the fade set fully to the rear to get over the problem, which is a shame, as the quality is good on the odd occasions it works ok.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Neil

0 0 0

2. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the Bose amp for the system is in the boot behind one of the side panels. I would check the connections on the amp and if that doesn't solve it the connections on the front speakers though I doubt it would be the speakers as you say both are crackly.

0 0 0

3. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    npatrick53 Guest
    Dubcruiser
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and track the amp down and check the connections. Fingers crossed that'll sort it
    Neil

0 0 0

4. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the amp for the cabin speakers is behind the drivers side rear panel in the boot. You have to remove the rear panel to get to it. Remove the cargo anchors & the boot lip trim and the hidden plastic screw up inside the cubbyhole door. Then the panel just unclips (with some force). There is a metal spring clip on the rise from the boot lip up to the curve round the rear light.
    The usual problem with the Bose amp is either a loose connector, or more likely a dry solder joint on the main PCB. This is a very common problem on the Bose amp causing crackling which is usually temperature dependent, so on cold mornings it'll be worse. Remove the amp and dismantle it to get to the PCB, then reflow some new solder onto the main PCB joints (the big ones not the surface mount ones). Use a solder sucker if you can to remove the old solder first. I've repaired a good number of so called knackered Bose amps by doing this.

0 0 0

5. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    npatrick53 Guest
    Macsub
    Thanks for the information and detailed instrutions - really appreciated. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I am experiencing so am optimistic the repair could be effective. I'll start on it tomorrow, if the weather stays dry. Thanks again.
    Neil

0 0 0

6. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    npatrick53 Guest
    Hi Macsub
    The amps out and the cover is off revealing the PCB. Wow! Didnt really expect the joins to be so tiny. Now if it was valve radio I could probably get away with my limited soldering skills, but fear I am far to clumsy for this! Do you think I could take the amp anywhere to get it resoldered as you suggest? Dont suppose I could parcel it up for you to have a look at could I (at the going rate of course) Reckon if I take the soldering iron to it, it would be beyond repair as soon as I got near it.
    Thanks again for your earlier reply
    Neil

0 0 0

7. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll gladly reflow it for you for the price of the postage. I can't guarantee it'll work as it maybe something more serious, but it's never failed with ones I've done in the past. I'll PM you my address.

0 0 0

8. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Befrore sending it off, and if it's not to much hassle, you could just put it all back together. While dry joints can be a real pain, and the Bose amps do have something of a rep for this, 90% of the problems with electronics come down to a poor connector somewhere. It can help to put a touch of Vaseline on the connectors before reconnecting them.

0 0 0

9. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    npatrick53 Guest
    Hi MadMacStew
    Thanks for your reply, but Im already into the resoldering angle. However your tip is certainly worth following up if the resolder doesnt turn out to be successful
    thanks again
    Neil

0 0 0

10. Re: Bose Symphony - Speaker problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've noticed this intermittent distortion on my S3 Bose front speaker at low temperatures. My fine soldering is rubbish so I was wondering if I could pay you to reflow the joints?

0 0 0