1. Question Alarm problems on a 2.0 Golf 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The recently fitted TOAD aftermarket alarm on my 2002 2.0 Golf failed comprehensively this weekend. With the help of the AA I got the car to the alarm fitters, Sextons in Wandsworth. They got the car going but claimed that the problem lay not with the alarm but with an intermittent fault in the ignition switch relay. They claim that this is a well known problem on Golfs. This is my fifth Golf in 12 years and I have never encountered the problem before. Has anyone had the same problem or must I conclude they are telling porkies?
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought Golfs suffered with ignition switch problems not relays. That said I've had two and neither had problems. Only problems I had were caused by a fault immobliser.
    If you've not suffered ignition switch problems before it sounds like the alarm.
    They haven't used any of those poxy blue scotch lock clips have they?

Regards Boardboy
    0 0 0

3. Aftermarket Alarms 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    On a general note, I had a SAAB 9000 CSE which somebody broke into, they took nothing but did £250 worth of damage. Decided to get a aftermarket alarm, the worst thing I have ever done.
    Paid £400 for a CAT1 Clifford alarm with microwave sensors instead of ultrasonic. spent the first 4 weeks being woken up at 2am by my alarm, not popular with my neighbours for obvious reasons.
    Faulty motion sensor, replaced. 2 weeks later same again, faulty sensor, replaced again.
    2 weeks later same again, suggested it might not be the sensor, repositioned same sensor no problems. Learned later microwave sensor had been disabled to prevent further spurious alarms.
    No protection inside car against intruders, low battery warning, all sorts of functions which can be programmed in or out were toggling on and off without warning.
    Silent arming function switching itself on and off, went back to fitter who stated rather flippantly that he didn't understand why I wanted the silent arming anyway, I told him because I was the customer and had paid him to fit the alarm and it should work properly.
    The long and the short of it was it's not worth the hassle, you can't get a discount on your insurance, and more importantly nobody takes notice of car alarms anyway.
    Best to take all your valuables out of the car and rid yourself of the hassle my friend.
    Gazza57
    0 0 0