Notices

User Tag List

Thread: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    As 2008 comes to an end, I am looking to find out what members want from the site in 2009. Do you want this to be a "Community" a "Club" or just a "Technical Forum?

As the owner of this site, I never thought that the site would grow, not only to the size it has, but at the fast rate it has too, so I must thank all involved in making the site what it is today.

The Site:

I have plans in 2009 to do a complete revamp of the site. This will be in the form of a complete change of design, colours and style. As yet I am unsure if this will be using another "off the shelf" scheme, or, invest around £800 - £1000 to have a complete "one off" custom scheme designed, which will be our, and only ours.

Once decided, I will be updating all forum software to the latest version, adding a "chat" feature, as well as a few other useful things (if I can find any)

As the site has grown so well, we are at the top in Google searches in quite a few search terms, such as "VW Forum", "Audi Forum" the main one's.

Our Sponsors:

As you already know, we have a large number of Sponsors for the site, which, by them paying to advertise on the site, as allowed us to have a good footing for 2009.

Although I am disappointed that a few have chosen not to renew in 2009, the "main players" have agreed, which I am very appreciative of, and further secures our future.

Whilst I am disappointed, I am not worried, as we are now in a position that gets Companies wanting to join us, a position I never thought we would be in...

The Future:

Ok, now for the future....

I have added a poll to the site, asking a simple question... "What sort of site do you want?"

The choices are:

A Community:

This is the route I, and a few others would like to see the site take.. More presence at shows around the Country.. This would need regional organisers.. Myself and the staff are unable, due to our physical locations around the Country to attend or organise our presence at every show.

This is why I aske if members would be interested in becoming "Regional Organisers", each having there own area to look after. That way we could attend at a "regional" level, with maybe a "once a year" Giant show..

I have Sponsors that would welcome the chance to offer excellent prizes in regular competittions, Companies such as Eshrules Enterprises, and Forge.. BUT What's the point when we get just a few entering..

So, to take this route, would you all be willing to get more involved? Is anyone interested in becoming a "regional organiser" and promote the site? Can we get more enthusiasm and get members entering the Competitions?

The Club:

I suppose that by making the site into a "Club" would mean changing the whole way the site is administered.. This is where members would pay to access a dedicated area in the site, maybe these would get key rings and tea shirts different facilities on the site a newsletter on a regular basis etc etc.

Paying members get more areas to participate in.. non payers would have a limited access..

This would be a complete "turn around" from what I wanted the site to be, I always wanted it to be free to join and use..

What are your views on this? What or how could we make the change to a Club? What would you expect from a Club?

The Technical Forum:

I am afraid that this is the way I think the site has become.. although we have a very large member base, we only have a few that can be classed as regular members.. It seems that most join the site, find out the answer to a problem, and go!

I want us to get away from this, and aim in 2009 to be the best VAG community on the Web.. For this to happen, I need your help...

Please, Please post your comments in this thread and answer the poll...

I look forward to a great 2009 for VWAudi Forum

Thanks

Stuart
    Stuart l VWAudi Forum
    VW Audi Forum - Founder

Member of BMW Car Club GB
    - Email: stuart@vwaudiforum.co.uk -

If you need a Part, a Garage, a Tuning Company, or even an Official Dealer the please visit
    our Supporting Companies They are all there to help by offering advice and products or services..."You support them - They Support us"

Ways to support the website

Details of the VW Audi Forum Insurance Scheme, See Here

If you like the site and you would like to donate please click here and use the PayPal button on the right hand side

Please Note: PLEASE DO NOT Email or PM me with any vehicle related technical questions. I am not qualified to give that sort of advice, please ask the experts we have on the forum.

0 0 0

2. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I think it is fine just the way things are. If it ain't broke.....
    0 0 0

3. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I think there are lots of garages coming on also to find solutions to there problems but fair play just pay us lol.I'm happy but i also think there are far to many 1 post wonders and very few feed back there results or even thank us
    0 0 0

4. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I am all for a club, a community is a great idea. We have tried the latter and not had much success. I would be lying if I said I had time to organise local events too.

I have no issue with paying a annual subscription.
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though
    0 0 0

5. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd be happy to attend shows and think an annual show would be a great idea. :

I like to go to GTi International if I can make it every year and I've been to the GTi Festival at Santa Pod a couple of times although it's not as big, it's still a good event. Did you have any Shows in particular you were interested in?
    0 0 0

6. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
    I think it is fine just the way things are. If it ain't broke.....
    I agree with this, but do appreciate the reasons for asking the original question. This is a great forum and an invaluable source of information bringing together like-minded folk for discussion and who are also willing to help others.

Am not overly familiar with internet forums rules / etiquette, formal or otherwise, but would think that due to the inter-web being a free-for-all there will always be a lot of one hit wonders. As a result I guess the goal of it being a community will very likely end up becoming a technical reference or sorts - especially given the longevity of Audi cars! - and that trying to control or stand in the way of this is futile...

Stuart - whatever you choose for this, I also look forward to a great 2009 for VWAudi Forum!
    Hope this helps

J
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport Saloon (180bhp)
    0 0 0

7. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i like the idea of a club, but i think it would kill the forum (ive seen it before elsewhere)

who would pay to gain access to something they dont have any idea of what is inside? i know the member would see a return on their investment (key ring/ t shirt etc) but i think people who have never visited before would immediately go elsewhere to look for what they want for free. i think only the established members would cough up to join.

the community would also be good, but i personally dont get enough time to visit the forum (internet police ) let alone organise or visit meets. maybe once in a blue moon, but not regularly anyway.

i think BigCol is has it right. maybe experiment with a few add ons to see what works or not, but if this format has enabled the forum to grow to what it is, then you/we must be doing something right

i do agree that it would be nice to have more of a regular attendance from more members, but i think there are far more regular members on here than you would think, maybe they just cant post much (like me) but like to come in and have a nose around whenever they can (like me )

well theres my 2p anyway...
    0 0 0

8. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's great the way it is, having it subscription based would just make people look for the next search result on Google when they're looking a problem up.
    0 0 0

9. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well from my experience the subscription can work. You would still have most areas public. For instance the 100+ chat might be members only.

It also gives Stuart a little more income to run the site.
    0 0 0

10. Re: A "Community" a "Club" or a "Technical Forum"? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are these "specialitity" sites you've got experience of Malc?
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast