1. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    This system uses sensors that are in/replace the value stems. There's also a receiver so flicking a code on what really help.

I'm wondering what happens if you need a new tyre or a puncture fixed as normally you get new valves.

Anyone know?

0 0 0

2. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is the case for other cars (I know Peugeots and Renaults use this method) however, not for the B8.
    According to the users handbook, the B8 uses the ABS sensors to measure the rolling circumference of the tyres. It compares the rotation of the all wheels and if one or two wheels start to give different rotational speed to the others, it will flag it as drop in pressure (e.g lower pressure = reduced diameter = more rotations than other wheels). This would need to be averaged, to account for cornering.
    Therefore, as all the hardware already exists for the ABS and ESP, it should only be a software switch to enable the feature...
    I also assume that if all the tyres dropped by an equal amount, it may not register, unless there is significant vibration...
    The system on the B8 is not capable of giving a true pressure reading, as far as I am aware.
    Lava Grey A4 Avant S-Line Quattro. 3.0TDi Black Edition

0 0 0

3. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_iz View Post
    Does anyone know if the TPMS can be added from "flicking the right switch" in VAGCOM?
    I think so, my car has the TPMS from the factory - when I mess with Vag Com it show the option with a tick in it.

I think on other Audi models you could retro fit TPMS by fitting a switch (with new wiring) and turning it on with Vag Com, as on the new A4 you store new pressures with the radio it should just be a software change.

0 0 0

4. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_iz View Post
    This is the case for other cars (I know Peugeots and Renaults use this method) however, not for the B8.
    According to the users handbook, the B8 uses the ABS sensors to measure the rolling circumference of the tyres. It compares the rotation of the all wheels and if one or two wheels start to give different rotational speed to the others, it will flag it as drop in pressure (e.g lower pressure = reduced diameter = more rotations than other wheels). This would need to be averaged, to account for cornering.
    Therefore, as all the hardware already exists for the ABS and ESP, it should only be a software switch to enable the feature...
    I also assume that if all the tyres dropped by an equal amount, it may not register, unless there is significant vibration...
    The system on the B8 is not capable of giving a true pressure reading, as far as I am aware.
    That's good to know. I read that this system wasn't ready for the B8 in time for launch. Obviously this was out of date info.

Glad to be corrected

0 0 0

5. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got TPMS and it doesn't seem to work well at all.

I was hoping it would flag up when my tyre pressure dropped slightly so I could top up, but my wheels can lose quite a few PSI gradually and the monitor stays silent.

Not tried to let a load of air out to test as I don't fancy pumping the tyre up by hand again...

0 0 0

6. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the tyre pressure monitoring could be turned on for free using Vag Com.[/quote]

Anyone else know if this can be done??

0 0 0

7. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Currently my TPMS isn't working at all for some reason but it has been of great assistance previously when I had a slow puncture in one tyre. What I found was that every time the system indicated a problem I had lost 2psi in that tyre over about a week. One thing to watch though is that the system seems to work from the traction control, (some say the ABS ??) and when one wheel starts behaving differently it shows the alarm. As I said above I had a consistent alarm every time ONE tyre lost 2psi. However, I checked manually once before a longish trip and found that ALL 4 wheels were over 2psi down from previous which of course gave a consistent traction control on all 4 wheels with no error showing, (yes, I'm too lazy and relied on the TPMS too much!).
    Currently it isn't working at all though, I had a complete flat & couldn't stop immediately as it was on a roundabout and no error was given while I hobbled to safe spot, shredding the tyre completely in the process of course. After replacing the tyre I tested by inflating & deflating and couldn't get it to show a fault, so any ideas on that greatly appreciated!

0 0 0

8. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When they were all the correct pressures did you set that in the MMI? It needs that to get a it's baseline.

To test it you'd have to drop the pressure and drive for a while. Not sure I'd want to do the risk to the tyre and rim.

I'm not sure of the best way to test it other than plug in VCDS and look for errors.
    MY2010 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 19" alloys, Full Leather, B & O, 3G Tech Pack, Adaptive Lights, Dynamic Susp, Folding Mirrors, Power tailgate, Storage/Light Packs, Parking Plus, Heated Seats, Rear Blinds, Load Rails, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS, Load Liner

Gone : 09 A4 Avant, B6 S4, TT, Golf GTi...and the rest are embarassing!

0 0 0

9. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Scotty, yes I did reset the pressures in the MMI both before I had the blow out that first alerted me to the problem, mind you I did have a bit more on my mind at the time! And also after having the new tyres fitted I reset it again and as usual the fitters had grossly over inflated and so I after I got home I dropped one of them back to where it should be & drove for a while but still no warning light. I have had the warning light consistently after a slow puncture dropped the pressures by 2psi until I got it repaired so I'm sure it should have come on. It's in for service in the New Year so I'll get them to look at it as well, but if it comes as a typical Audi repair cost I'll just live without this "nice to have". It does make me more than a bit lazy physically checking them I'm afraid! Basically it's only a software switch in the control unit so unless something drastic has happened there I don't really understand what's going on.

0 0 0

10. Re: Tyre pressure monitoring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just had four new tyres and my fitters under inflated!! LOL

Afraid ive not got a clue then other than plug it up for a diag test.
    MY2010 A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro S-line Exec - Aruba Blue, 19" alloys, Full Leather, B & O, 3G Tech Pack, Adaptive Lights, Dynamic Susp, Folding Mirrors, Power tailgate, Storage/Light Packs, Parking Plus, Heated Seats, Rear Blinds, Load Rails, Privacy Glass, Rear Airbags, TPMS, Load Liner

Gone : 09 A4 Avant, B6 S4, TT, Golf GTi...and the rest are embarassing!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast