1. help - LOST KEY!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All - my first post - - and glad to find a forum site to post on! Massive problem - I lost the ONLY key I had to my Y reg Passatt yesterday the poor girl is sitting out in the cold in Durham city and is full of all my personal stuff - The local Main Dealer is unable to help - "There is nothing we can do to get into a Passatt" - have a call out to an Auto-Locksmith who "may" be able to help when he responds - "perhaps Monday PM" Cant believe that there is nothing I can do here - faced with getting it recovered and delivered to the VW Dealer and who will break a window for entry and then fit a new lockset.
    Any suggestions anyone - before the locals take a sledgehammer to her???? - - PLEASE??
    0 0 0

Exmouth, Devon, UK. Drives Bonkers Fabia Diesel. Has full VCDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How "lost" is the key? It's stories like this which is making me really determined to get myself a spare....
    Jason - Rather mad Skoda Fabia driver.... Odd whiff of diesel coming from him.
    260bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvjJjL7Z50
    315bhp Skoda Fabia TDI Dyno Run (2013)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY
    0 0 0

3. Lost Key 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The key is VERY lost - - I'm a rower and lost it during the course of an outing following a bit of a mishap and a wet encounter!! - It's "four fathoms deep".
    After three days on a very steep learning curve I seem to be almost out of the predicament - but for any others out there following this thread I have a few findings which may be of help.

1. Your main VW dealership will be worse than useless- mine didn't really want to know and referred me to the AA and RAC.

2.TIMPSON Auto Locksmith Register 0800 0187 187 keep a national list of qualified and bona fide Auto Locksmiths. You will need one!! - they are the first port of call of the RAC and AA for VW and Audi cars.

3. These guys know their stuff and whilst not cheap are a FRACTION of the price of main dealers. The one I contacted got into a deadlocked 2001 Pasatt in about 35 mins (£60)- a feat which VW said was impossible. He will also disassemble the lock barrel which he can remove - use his computer to detect the Passat's PIN number so that he can then cut and code new keys to that existing lock. (less than £150 total)

VW's option was to break a window (£30 for glass - £80 to fit), take out all the locks and refit new (£50 per lock , 4 hrs @ £75 +VAT)- nice total of over £500 as keys were extra!!!!!

Interestingly - lost keys are not covered by your insurance except in special circumstances.
    0 0 0

Mav2006 Guest
    Is it possible, assuming you have the key number to get another one cut? If so perhaps this quote may help

"Having just found my Passat (2005 Trendline TDI 100) broken into, I am wondering if there is an inherrent weakness with the security system. This morning I woke to find it on my drive with all the windows down and the driver's door lock mechanism damaged (bits of the facing on the floor). The mount for my sat nav was taken from my glovebox and the car ransacked for the sat nav, which wasn't there as I keep it indoors. What bothers me though is how easy it appears to have been broken into and without me hearing the alarm go off. Does anyone here know if it's just a simple matter of jamming a screwdriver into the lock, turning it and just holding it there until all the electric windows come down. If it is, what can I do to fix the problem so that it's not so easy to break into next time. I would appreciate some help or comments from anyone who has had a similar experience"

This was posted on here the other day with the forum heading Passat security
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right,I'm def sorting out a spare key for myself this week@!

Really sorry to hear you bad news, keep us posted!
    2002 A4 SPORT
    0 0 0

6. Lost Keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well -- I'm mobile again without any damage and precious little delay compared to the main dealer option and at about 30% of their projected cost.

I don't know if one of the organisers here wants to provide this info in a more prominent manner but here is the URL of the website which gives access to your local Auto-Locksmith:-

http://www.autolocksmiths.net/

The guy who did mine was an absolute magician. He fitted me in between other urgent jobs and was determination itself faced with a very difficult task - He came to my place today - took out the lock barrel - opened it in his van/workshop - extracted the key pattern code - made a new key which worked the lock mechanically - plugged his electronic box of tricks into my car's computer - read the access code, and coded the key to the car in a total time of 70 minutes. VW told me this was not possible and that just coding the key would necessitate a link-up between their computer and VW headquarters in Germany!!

Unashamedly I will give his details here - anyone from Morpeth to Leeds who needs a key/lock/etc etc - - this is the guy who can do it!!

Tom Hobson
    A1UNLOCK
    Spennymoor, Durham,
    Tel: 01388 420203
    Mob: 07967 831634
    e-mail: ttomhob@aol.com
    0 0 0

7. Thumbs up Re: help - LOST KEY!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My key was lost a couple months ago I got the mobile locksmiths out and it cost me £250. It took them less than a minute to get into the deadlocked car and they too the driver's barrle away, made a new key and returned it the next day.
    0 0 0

8. Re: Lost Keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 75prn View Post
    [SIZE=3]Well -- I'm mobile again without any damage and precious little delay compared to the main dealer option and at about 30% of their projected cost.

Glad your back on the road..

The key he has cut for you... is it a OEM key?? ie a flip key??

Cheers

Rick

0 0 0

9. Re: Lost Keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't. A mate of mine is an auto-locksmith in Essex and he has a load of them in his van. A fair percentage of the world's car keys are made by the same company, Huf. You'll see their logo on your key if you look hard enough.
    0 0 0

10. Re: Lost Keys 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hagis View Post
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't. A mate of mine is an auto-locksmith in Essex and he has a load of them in his van. A fair percentage of the world's car keys are made by the same company, Huf. You'll see their logo on your key if you look hard enough.

That wouldn't be Ricky in Essex would it?
    0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast