Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Glow plug warning light flashing.

1. Unhappy Glow plug warning light flashing. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi i have a 1.9TDi Passat Estate R-reg, the glow plug light just started to flash whilst driving. It only starts flashing after 5 mins of driving or so. Have checked brake lights are working ok. Has anyone got any ideas?

Kindest thanks...
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines been flashing for the last 40k brake lights still working ok after a while ive got used to it and only notice it if it stops

also read some where it will come on if you have used dirty diesel not sure if this is true or not through.

have you been on the chery ade lol
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you have a error logged in the ecu - its just reminding you its there despite it perhaps not being too serious.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be 1 of your glow plugs is dead, does more smoke than normal come out your zorst when started from dead cold ?
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkster View Post
    could be 1 of your glow plugs is dead, does more smoke than normal come out your zorst when started from dead cold ?
    the glow plug light has nothing to do with the glow plugs once it flashes - its letting you know an ecu error's occured.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What sort of fault does it indicate? Will it be a serious one? I'm reluctant to drive too far if I don't know what the problem is! Some people are suggesting brake light faults too?!
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    the glow plug light has nothing to do with the glow plugs once it flashes - its letting you know an ecu error's occured.
    so if the said code was deleted there would be no issue with the engine? why does it just start flashiing and "Engine Workshop" ?
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, I had the same problem and mine was due to a brake bulb coming out and causing a short which must have caused two other brake bulbs to blow, replaced blown bulbs and all is well now. Cant beleave VW scare the hell out of you with the computer saying "Engine Workshop". when mine happened I turned straight round and got home asap only for someone to say "mate your brake lights aint working" Check both sides !!!! Even if they look ok and working.
    Jimmer
    2008 AUDI A4 AVANT 170 S LINE
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, my glow plug light has just started flashing AGAIN!!!! After reading through the above posts I checked the brake lights. One of them was out, so I replaced it, the warning light disappeared for about 30 seconds, but then resumed again? Any ideas anyone? Don't really fancy a trip back to the dealership! I don't want to ignore it, thinking its something trivial if its something that needs attention.
    0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I cleared my fault code today (flashing glow plug light) using a 'car-care VW/Audi Code reader, the code was 17978. Anyone know what that it? It is not listed in the booklet of fault codes that comes with the reader.
    0 0 0