Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty??

1. Question Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I picked up a second hand A4 S-line two weeks ago from an independent dealer and am very pleased with my purchase.
    However, when I was giving it a wash the other day I noticed that the lacquer has started to come away from the paintwork on both the front and rear bumpers.
    It is occurring at random places along the front right bumper, and at the corner of the wheel arch on the rear bumper. The metal bodywork is all fine.

I didn’t notice this when I inspected the car before pick up, but am pretty sure it can’t have just appeared in the last fortnight.

I have one year of manufacturers warranty left on the vehicle; does anyone think that Audi will cover such a repair?
    I am a bit concerned as I brought it from an independent and should have really noticed this before I brought it.

I would appreciate your views!

0 0 0

2. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I doubt it; it won’t be original paint but a repair and unless you can prove it was done at an approved VAG bodyshop you have no come back as you didn’t buy the car from the dealer network.

I had a three year old A3 (8P type) in the other day for a service and there was rust bubbling up all around the edges of the drivers front wing. I had been painted by a VAG bodyshop in Derby two years ago so I told them to take it back there.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How can you tell if it is the original paintwork or a repair?

Anyone know how much it costs to get two bumpers re-sprayed?

0 0 0

4. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like typical smart repair areas to sell the car.

0 0 0

5. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by euroslap View Post
    Sounds like typical smart repair areas to sell the car.
    nope , just possibly a badly done one

0 0 0

6. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where was this indipendat? I brought a 3 year old S line a month ago and funnly enough I have the same on the rear bumper, I didnt notice it untill i was washing it but oh well Ill just get the rear bumper respreyed at some point.

0 0 0

7. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavManMoon View Post
    How can you tell if it is the original paintwork or a repair?

Anyone know how much it costs to get two bumpers re-sprayed?
    When you go to the dealer over a warranty paintwork repair they examine the paintwork with the eye of a body pro who has done the job for years and they use a paint thickness gauge that helps them decide if the paintwork is original or not. If it isn't and was done at an approved VAG body shop but there is no record, you will have a hard time proving it.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    has anyone had any paint work done by audi under warrenty? im guesing mines too old though now

0 0 0

9. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    where was this indipendat? I brought a 3 year old S line a month ago and funnly enough I have the same on the rear bumper, I didnt notice it untill i was washing it but oh well Ill just get the rear bumper respreyed at some point.
    Autoquake in Birmingham. They were very open and honest about a number of other minor imperfections, they must have missed the peeling too.

0 0 0

10. Re: Lacquer Peel - Will it be covered by warranty?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    When you go to the dealer over a warranty paintwork repair they examine the paintwork with the eye of a body pro who has done the job for years and they use a paint thickness gauge that helps them decide if the paintwork is original or not. If it isn't and was done at an approved VAG body shop but there is no record, you will have a hard time proving it.
    Thanks for the info Crasher. It is difinitely worth puting in a claim then, at least I will know either way.
    Will let you know how it goes.

0 0 0