Notices

User Tag List

Thread: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My wife has a1998 Golf 1.6 SE. For at least 6 months now, the idle speed sometimes rises to about 1400rpm then drops down again. It can happen anytime, when hot or cold. Other times it fluctuates between 800 and 1400rpm constantly. The problem is annoyingly intermittent though.
    It has been serviced twice now since the problem first started, at two different garages. Both garages plugged the car into the computer system, but it showed no faults when there obviously is. Both times at both garages I was present when it was checked on the computer, so I know it has been done.
    Does any of you good people have any idea what the problem could be, or is it just a case of throwing money at it replacing different parts until the problem is found?
    Thanks in advance, Stuart.

0 0 0

2. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stupotads View Post
    My wife has a1998 Golf 1.6 SE. For at least 6 months now, the idle speed sometimes rises to about 1400rpm then drops down again. It can happen anytime, when hot or cold. Other times it fluctuates between 800 and 1400rpm constantly. The problem is annoyingly intermittent though.
    It has been serviced twice now since the problem first started, at two different garages. Both garages plugged the car into the computer system, but it showed no faults when there obviously is. Both times at both garages I was present when it was checked on the computer, so I know it has been done.
    Does any of you good people have any idea what the problem could be, or is it just a case of throwing money at it replacing different parts until the problem is found?
    Thanks in advance, Stuart.
    Sounds like a classic case of a gunked up throttle body.

Do a search on here for loads of info.

The throttle body needs to be cleaned with carb cleaner and then should be electronically aligned / calibrated. A easy DIY job for the cleaning and if you look in the vagcom subforum there should be someone who could help you with the alignment.

0 0 0

3. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers BigCol, appreciate the info.

0 0 0

4. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers BigCol, appreciate the info.

0 0 0

5. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Went back to the garage today and had the throttle body removed and checked. It was spottless, but cleaned again anyway. All other things were checked that could possibly cause the throttle problem, and reset the throttle position again. The fault codes were all reset again too. I then took the car aout for about 7 miles for a test, but without luck, the problem is still there. It was then plugged back into the computer, but strangely, it was showing 'no faults found'.
    It was then suggested that a new throttle body was fitted. I would be happy to do this if it was a guaranteed fix, but of course it isn't. I was quoted £194 + vat for the part, the part number is 06A 133 ( I think ). Does anybody know if that is a good price, or suggest anywhere I might get it cheaper?
    Thanks again in advance!
    Stuart.

0 0 0

6. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    No air leaks ?
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

7. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No. No leaks. Spent about two hours on it.

0 0 0

8. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Stu, try Vagparts or GSF for a price....I think we get a discount working where we do !

GSF list it at £174+vat= £204
    GSF part No....18777
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

9. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here we go again. I replaced the Throttle Body today with a genuine new part. Started her up, but exactly the same symptoms. One thing not noticed before, is when you hold the throttle open by the cable with your hand, it seems to kick back and drops the rev's down. Same when you hold the pedal down at about 2000 rpm, you can feel the pedal move on its own and the rev's will drop down to about 1500rpm, and then shoot back up again.
    Also,I did find a pin ***** size hole in a section of the pipe between the Mass Flow Meter, and the Throttle Body. Could this tiny hole really cause this much of a problem?
    After running a check on the laptop, a fault comes up as : 00533 - Idle Speed Regulation: Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded. Again, could this be down to this tiny hole?
    All responses much appreciated.

0 0 0

10. Re: VW Golf MK4 1998. Uneven tickover. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this is exactly whats wrong with mine
    pedal kicks back and revs wont drop
    i cant afford to spend £200 and it still not work
    would like to know the outcome of this
    can you let me know?