1. Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thought the title may provoke some unpleasant banter which is not my aim, just wanted to share my experiences.
    Having driven a 2006 Touran 2.0TDI 140 for 16000 miles I then purchased a 2008 Passat Estate Sport 200PS petrol turbo and would urge any prospective Passat buyers to consider the petrol turbo option.
    This engine is just fantastic, very similar torque output and characteristics to the TDI (but spread out a bit more) which means every day driving is just as easy and satisfying as with the TDI however when the mood takes it revs to 7000 rpm with such vigor and delightful noise that I grin from ear to ear!!! and the power just keeps coming. It’s also very much smoother, refined and quieter when you start it in the morning and does not have a DPF system…..
    The down side is obviously fuel consumption, the Touran achieved roughly 42mpg in every day use and 48mpg on a run, the Passat is almost exactly 10mpg less under similar driving conditions which means 10000 miles per year will cost around £300 more in fuel. Road tax is another issue which will cost £110 a year more than the 140 TDI and £85 more than the 170TDI from next year (thank you Gordon). I also suspect I will get hammered come trade in time as Diesel remains the sensible choice for large estate cars, so why did I buy it? As it is obviously an unpopular model It was pre-registered by a VW dealer, was brand new with 20 miles on the clock and had £6000.00 knocked off the list price so I have saved a bit towards the extra fuel and road tax.

0 0 0

2. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Oh, no, someone has done it again. Started a thread that will end up like Catholicism Vs Islam, Liverpool Vs Everton, Rice Crispies Vs Cornflakes. Advocates of both sides will waffle on for the next 2 weeks with all manner of krapp about mpg and 0-60. Greenfield, how could you?

Let me say I've got one of each (including the 200PS turbo and the 2.0 Cr diesel) and I think petrol is best. Er no, I mean diesel. I think. Maybe I mean ......
    Driving - Shiny new E350 Estate.. Just Arrived - Aggh! a C-Max. What have I done?
    Just Gone - 2008 Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG Estate + toys, 2007 Golf GTI

Once, cars were simple and I was smart. Now things are the other way around.

0 0 0

3. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ooops, sorry. was not aware it would be that sensitive an issue.
    Only point Iwas trying to make was that because petrol power costs more to run nobody wants it and you can now find a few bargains!!

0 0 0

4. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Like all these things there a pros and cons. You go with what suits you. I do a relatively small mileage prefer the occasion of a petrol car and because they are cheaper than the equivalent diesel mine gives me smiles all round. However had my mileage been higher I would of gone with a large diesel car or small petrol.
    One German, Two Italian.
    It's a Mercedes Benzzzz though

0 0 0

5. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For many years now I've prefered the lazy nature of a turbo diesel's low down grunt, but after checking out the figures for the vag 2.0T petrol it seems you get everything except the economy. Low down torque, high up power, smoothness, quieter etc. Only problem is mines a company car and I'm not allowed to choose anything with an official average mpg figure below 45mpg, and as I do about 45k a year, I wouldn't be allowed one. Now I just have to work out how to overcome this !!!. However, Greenfield, at 6k off a bargain not to be missed.

0 0 0

6. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've always preferred diesels for no particular reason, i just like them.
    I even liked the renault 19 diesel i had years ago that sounded more like a tractor than a car,
    I suppose maybe thats because i started driving tractors as a kid from when i was about 10

The plus with liking diesels is the fuel economy, i'm afflicted with a very heavy right foot and diesel engines seem to be more forgiving of that than petrol engines.

0 0 0

7. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I really like the gruff rumble of my 1.9TDi!! I don't understand why people think the diesel rattle is annoying!!
    2006 B6 Passat 1.9TDi 105 | 35k | Deep Black Pearlescent | 18" OZ Superturismo Rims | Chrome Grill | 35% Tinted Rear Windows | Boot Lip Spoiler | Debadged

0 0 0

8. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Passat is the first diesel I've ever owned; I've always had petrol engined cars before.

It's definitely noisier & rattlier than those petrol engined cars; not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but that's just about the only driveability downside I've found.

It's faster, pulls from lower in the rev range, and accelerates much better than the (petrol) V70 I used to have, despite having identical horsepower (but 50% more torque) and it's 15-20MPG more efficient to boot. Also it handles better with all the on-board gadgetry to help, but there again there's milk floats that out-handle a standard V70 so that can't be an unqualified recommendation for the Passat.

My only concern is that I'm not reliably using it enough to justify the increased purchase and ownership costs to offset that, but you can hardly blame the car for that, right?

In summary: I think I've gained much more than I've lost moving from Petrol to Diesel but my own personal driving profile doesn't make it automatic that I'll stay oil-powered from now on.
    Matthew Exley
    '08 Passat 2.0 TDI Estate.

0 0 0

9. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As much as I would love the 2.0 turbo petrol engine version but the tax costs will hit any company car driver hard at 27% tax where as the 2.0tdi 170ps is only 21% tax. For the private motorist the ved will be as of next year £260 for the 2.0tsi while the 2.0tdi 170 will be just £150 (these are all based on manual transmission cars) I hate this dam system of "green" tax

0 0 0

10. Re: Petrol v Diesel 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good point about the company car tax, I didn't consider this as I was buying privately.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast